Abraham, Mr. & Mrs.
Alcock or Olcock
There are several members of the Aycock family buried at Bethel
Methodist Cemetery in Northeast Rapides Parish.
Rev. Parish would often spend the night at Brother Alexander's home
while preaching in the area. On July 12, 1861, Rev. Parish noted he spent
several hours on the (Red) River studying under some Cotton trees at
Brother Alexander's place, and these were some of Rev. Parish's happiest
This is probably: William Alexander who as President of the Board
of Trustees of Oak Grove Church, signed the articles of incorporation of
Oak Grove Methodist in May of 1859, as well as the original deed of
property for Oak Grove Church on August 23, 1859. The home he built in 1852
and later lived in was in Ward One, the same ward the church is located,
was later the home of Jay Ryland known as Myrtle Grove Home. William
Alexander's estate was sold at auction in 1870, and at that time his estate
owned about 1,000 acres of land in Ward One. He also owned a town lot in
nearby Marksville. William Alexander left no known descendents, according
to a history of Oak Grove compiled in 1940. According to an 1861
Confederate Map of the area, the Alexander Home was just east of Cassandria
along the Red. River.
There is a small possibility that Brother Alexander could be: Rev.
Benjamin F. Alexander of Bayou Boeuff Circuit, who was serving as a
chaplain in Confederate Army about 1863. (pg. 91&92, Harper)
Amone, (Aymond) Mr.
Oak Grove Church, Avoyelles
Rev. Parish mentions visiting or staying with the Aymond family on
at least two occasions during 1861 while in the area of Oak Grove Church.
This could have been John P. J. Aymond, who was one of the three
original board of trustees of Oak Grove Methodist Church when it filed its
act of incorporation in May of 1859.
Or it could be Zenon Aymond who sold the property for the first church:
Mr. ....... Aymond, age 92?, and his wife, Thelma, are still active
members of Oak Grove Church at Effie. They were interviewed by this author
at the church's Homecoming reception in 1994. They said that his
grandfather, Zenore Aymond, sold the property for the first Oak Grove
Church. The home of Zenoir Aymond was located facing Red River, between the
site of the old and new Moncla Bridges.
According to the Avoyelles Families book by Nelson Gremillion,
Zenon Aymond, 1825-1885, was the grandson of a French immigrant to
Louisiana, married Lucinda Recouly, 1838-1916, of Avoyelles and they had at
least six children by time of the 1870 census. The graves of Zenon Aymond
and his wife lie in French Cemetery, where his in-laws were interred.
Mr. ......Aymond's wife, Thelma McNeal, was born in 1912, daughter
of Hugh McNeal who was also an old member of Oak Grove Church. Thelma
McNeal Aymond told this author she recalled the circuit riders when she was
a small girl - as they rode on horseback - without a buggy - to her
father's house. The preacher would carry his clothes and effects in two
saddle bags hung on each side of the horse. Her father would ask her
brothers to take the horse and help the minister with his packings. "My
mother provided a room and meals for many a circuit rider coming to Oak
Grove," said Mrs. Aymond.
Greg Aymond who has done extensive research, gave this chronology of
the Aymond family in Avoyelles/North Rapides: The father of all Avoyelles
Parish AYMONDs, Jean Baptiste and his wife Marianne Joffrion
AYMOND, seemed to have actually settled on what is the modern parish line
between Avoyelles and Rapides (around the present day Centerpoint area). In fact, the 1780's permission to settle came from
the commandant of Post Du Rapid. From there, all of their children spread
out through Avoyelles Parish. Etienne Aymond, who has the most
descendants, settled around the Cottonport area, and his descendants spread
throughout western Avoyelles. Jean I's son Michel, seems to havesettled
in the Marksville area. The remainder of Jean and Marianne's childrenall
seemed to settle in the Point Maigre area. Most Says, Hayes, Reed,Fuqua
and Berlin descendants are off of Jean and Marianne's daughters. My direct
line (Jean II, Zenon, Bartholome, Edouard) all passed down Jean II's
original claim of the area that is now Oak Grove Methodist church. In
fact, in 1859, my 3rd great-grandfather Zenon, sold the original 4 acres to
Oak grove to build that church, for the sum of $5.00. The first several
generations (until 1900) are buried in the french cemeatary in Ward One,
while those after 1900 are found in the Oak Grove Cemetary. Even though
Zenon had the Methodist Church on his property, his line remained Catholic
for at least one more generation (until abt. 1890's)
The 1860 census lists John H. Belamy, occupation Methodist
Preacher, living in Rapides Parish, age 57, native of Georgia. His wife,
Rovina, age 47, was a native of North Carolina. There were five children
living in their home, all of whom were born in Mississippi. Since the
youngest child was only two years of age, we presume John H. Bellamy had
recently to Louisiana after 1858.
Brister, Mr. & Mrs.
Cannon, Sister - Gregroy R. Aymond (email@example.com) has identified
sister Cannon as follows in his research: As far as I can tell, there was only
1 line of CANNONs on the north side of Red River in Rapides Parish. Samuel H.
Cannon, born in 1805 somewhere in S.C., married Margaret Emerilla Joyner on
Feb. 20, 1825, in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. Margaret had been born
somewhere in Georgia in 1807. She was the daughter of Absolom Joyner (of SC)
and Zilpha Galloway (of NC). Sometime in the late 1840's, Samuel, Margaret and
their children,moved to the Ruby area of Rapides Parish. The Cannon children
were: Charles; Sarah; John George; Samuel Thompson; amd Thomas Green D.
The father, Samuel H. Cannon, died in Ruby in 1852.
After his death, it appears that Margaret expanded their holdings,
acquiring a few slaves and at leastone additional 400 acre tract in 1859.
I cannot locate her children Charles and Sarah after the 1860 Census.
During the Civil War, at least 3 ofher sons left home and fought with the
Confederacy, so Margaret might have possibly been at home by herself during the
War. The 1860 Census was the last one she appeared upon. Family verbal
history states that she was a Methodist. She is buried in the Cannon Cemetary
on the old homeplace off of Newsome Road in Ruby. Her holdings extended from
the Red River near what is now Overton Lock and Dam #2. She must be the
Sister Cannon mentioned in the diary, as I know of no others at that time.
None of her sons had yet married (not until after the Civil War)
Colic, Rogers, Bro.
Who Rev. Parish boarded with
Craven, brother & Mrs.
Crenshaw, brother & Mrs.
Rev. Parish stopped at Brother Crenshaw to "arrange a class paper
on July 30. Apparently Rev. Chrenshaw was helping Rev. Parish with his
studies. Possibly same as William H. Crenshaw, a lawyer from Mississippi
who had entered into the Methodist Ministry, serving for many years
starting in 1846 in Baton Rouge. He was elected Secretary of the first
According to Carol Rabalais, this probably was her ancestor, Doctor
Rufus Deen (1836-1910), son of William H. Deen and Elizabeth Pearce. Doctor
Deen was a "witch doctor", a common practicioner of prayer & magic - type
medicine in the 1800s. He was born 27 April 1836 in Mississippi. He died 6
May 1910 in Grant Parish, and had at least one daughter, Juila Matilda Deen
who married James Nugent, son of William Nugent who is also mentioned in
If this was in Rapides Parish he could be one of these:
LOUISIANA -- 1860 Census -- Rapides
FERGUSSON ElizabetRapides 120
FERGUSSON H.B. Rapides 221
FERGUSSON John Rapides 120
FERGUSSON John D. Rapides 113
FERGUSSON Mary Rapides 7
FERGUSSON P.W. Rapides 124
LOUISIANA -- 1860 Census -- Concordia
FERGUSON R.W. Concordi 795
LOUISIANA -- 1860 Census -- Avoyelles
FERGUSON James Avoyelle 369
FERGUSON RoderickAvoyelle 409
Fisher, H. M.
A. D. Gaskill, M. D., is listed in the 1860 census living at Union
Parish, home listing #8. He was 54 years old, and native of Tennessee. His
wife was a native of Georgia and of the three children listed in their home
the oldest (age 15) was born in Alabama, the middle child (age 13) born in
Mississippi, and the youngest (age 5) in Louisiana.
Gevins (or Levins)
Gin, brother (preacher Ginns)
(Preached at Alexandria on Dec. 17, according to Rev. Parish)
Probably either Philo M. Goodwin or A. E. Goodwyn, who were Methodist
Ministers during the Civil War in Louisiana. Or it could be Rev. William D.
Godwin, born 1818 in La., listed in 1880 census living in Alexandria,
(religion not known)
William Grimes (1811-1901) always provided a minister for his
slaves and required that they marry, says Pauline Grimes McNeal, his
great-granddaughter, who still owns part of the old plantation in northwest
Avoyelles Parish, La. William Grimes was a native of Plymouth, North
Carolina. His wife, Sarah M. Ellis (1806-1887), was a native of Pitt Co.,
N. C. Their graves lie in the old Rapides Cemetery in Pineville.
A church was located on the Grimes property in 1905, probably the
same building built by William Grimes. See the church location section for
more details of the Grimes Church.
Guiss or Guinn, Mrs.
This was W. L. Gwin, who married Rev. Parish's sister Eudora in 1860.
This was Rev. Parish' youngest sister, Eudora Parish, who married
W. L. Gwin in Sabine Parish in 1860.
Hadnit, James (May 27&28)
Haines, brother (Oct. 11)
Hamilton, brother (May 10)
Hays, sister (August 6)
Oak Grove Church, Avoyelles
Rod Lincoln has researched his Hayes ancestors of this area and among his research one of these, offers these thoughts on who was the sister Hayes mentioned in the diary: Possibly it is Nancy Sterling Hayes(as suggested by
Calvin Hayes in later paragraphs), wife of James Hayes II or Mrs. William Hayes. Unfortunately
there were too many Hayes' in the area to make a reasonable guess.
If it was Nancy Sterling Hayes she had at least 4 small children underfoot.
Her husband may or may not have already died, but I do not think so. I
cannot speak for all of the children, but little Jeff Hayes was hell on
wheels. With this in mind, I can understand the ministers comments. Ialso
suspect Nancy was Catholic married into a Methodist family. Protestant
ministers have always been a little un-Christian about Catholics. Thatmay
have also caused the remarks. Again, it could have been any of the Hayes
families in the area.
Rob provided this history of the Hayes:
James Hayes and Celeste Aymond (daughter of
Jean Baptiste Aymond and Rosalie Dauzat)were married August 7,1830
in Avoyelles Parish La. At the time of his death he owned land in Rapides,
Avoyelles and Pointe Coupee Parishes, La.
He lived in a log cabin atPointe
Maigre, Avoyelles Parish north of Marksville, La. He and Celeste hadthree
children James II and twins George and Celine Hayes (twins born in 1833).
From his first wife, Patsy Lowe, he had three children: MargaretBarthemy,
William Hayes, and Nancy Hayes.
James also had taken responsibility(tutor)
for his younger sister Lidonise Hayes after his father died. LidoniseHayes
would later marry Roderick Ferguson on Sept 27, 1845.
James parents were George and Margaret Riche Hayes. George and Margaret may have had as many as 5 sons and 2 daughters.
Calvin Hayes, Sr., born in June of 1900, interviewed at age 94 at
Oak Grove Church where he is an active member, said that this was probably
his grandmother. She died when he was a young boy. Her home was located
near his, off of the northeast end of Cole's Island Road. Mr. Hays said
that when he was a small boy, the original Oak Grove Church was still
standing near the middle of the grave yard. He said the present church is
the fourth building he has seen in his lifetime.
Old marriages of Hayes in Avoyelles:
George Hayes, son of Margerite Hayes, married 1825 Sedalise Recouley.
James Hays married Feb. 9, 1854 Nancy Sterling, who may have been a
sister of Mary R. Stirling who was married by a Methodist Minister at
Avoyelles in 1848.
Rev. William Hayes married Nov. 22, 1841 at Avoyelles Margaret
Milburn, minor daughter of the late William Milburn and Nancy Richey.
(Nancy Richey was the wife of Daniel Richey at the time of her daughter's
marriage) Wit.: John O'Quin, Daniel Voorhies, Michel Fouquier, Gervais
William Hayes of Pointe Coupee, married at Avoyelles , 1809, to
Catherine Baker, daughter of Evans Baker, esqr. of Pointe Coupee.
James Hays married at Avoyelles 1830 Celeste Aymond, daughter of
Hearn, Brother, (preacher)
Probably J. W. Hearne, who in Dec. 1863, was noted in Conference
records as being from Trinity (Charge or Church?) and was "in the
(Confederate) Army.) Rev. John W. Hearne was serving in the Winnfield
area near or at the time of this 1861 diary.
Hendrix, old brother
Hesnon, old brother (june 21)
Holstons, old man (June 4)
The Holstein family lived near the Nalley home in 1861, according
to Rhonda Ryland. She said the Holstein home was behind her home, and the
Holstein's children were friends with her grandfather. See Nalley for more
information on location.
Probably Rev. James A. Ivey, who in 1870 was pastor of the
Pineville Methodist Church, which may have been established in 1837 and was
served by Rev. Parish in 1859 and from 1861 through 1863. Rev. James A. Ivy
chaired the seventeenth session of the Louisiana Methodist Conference held
Dec. 10-13 in Bastrop, La. James A. Ivy married Celestia O. EVANS, b. abt 1826
in Wilcox AL, daughter of Abel Edward EVANS (1798-1878) and Martha Ann
MANDEVILLE (1804-1862), according to his great-great-great neice, Francesca
Sutton . They had at least three children: Ernest,
David and Stella, all born "abt 1863".
Irvine, William (April 23)
Jackson, Mr. (April 5)
Kay, old sister
In the act of incorporation of Oak Grove Church in May of 1859, R.
M. (or R. W.) Kay signed as one of the three original board of trustees.
Perhaps this the same or the husband of old sister Kay.
Isaac LaCroix (1823-1879), born in Mississippi, son of John LaCroix
who was an early settler of nearby Avoyelles Parish, married in 1849 to
Theodosia Ann Vance (1828-1871). Isaac LaCroix and his wife lived most of
their married lives on Bayou Flagon where he was a farmer and cattleman.
They had nine children. Issac and his oldest son, Issac Jr., both served in
the Confederate Army. Isaac LaCroix was a planter and member of the police
jury for several years, and died in Rapides Parish.
(SOURCES: The LaCroix Descendents 1611-1991, by E. W. McDonald,
Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Northwest Louisiana, published 1890)
CHECK THESE DESCENDETNS FOR PHOTO:
Charles Waters LaCroix, married Louis Gillette, lived in Urania, sold his
Lumber Co. there and moved to Colfax in 1905. Children: Walter Shackleford,
Anna Belle, Henry Clyde, Dewey Olymphia, Maurine, Samuel Michael and Louise
Hazel. Sam LaCroix was a brother of Charles LaCroix. Dewey LaCroix
McNeely's daughter is Frances McNeely Bowers.
GET GRANT PARISH BIO
(Photo on file from LaCroix book)
Also: Get from Grant Parish history and 1860 census.
Stephen Yancy LaCroix (1816-1882) and his first wife, Mary Ann
Polly Whately (1825-1863), lived for a short time on the south side of
Little River in what was then Catahoula Parish, but now Lasalle Parish. He
was living in Grant Parish at the time of his death. He had served as a
justice of the peace and in 1852 was elected as a State Representative on
the Whig platform from Catahoula Parish.Stephen Yancy LaCroix followed in
his father's footsteps and made his living around the river. He cut and
floated timber, and operated the LaCroix Ferry across the river. He had
nine children from his two marriages. A family story tells of his losing a
leg and since he played the fiddle he was known as the one legged fiddler.
(From the book: The LaCroix Descendents 1611-1991, by E. W. McDonald)
Stephen Lacroix appears in the Rapides Parish in the 1860 census,
age 45, a farmer, with $7,850 of real estate and $2,680 of personal
property. He was listed with nine children. (From U. S. Census, 1860,
LaCroix, sister (Kind Old Lady, March 14)
LaCroix, William (April 12)
Ladeaux, Mr. (Dec. 16)
Leach, Mr. (Dec. 20)
Leachers, Mr. (Dec. 19)
Lowrey, James, Brother
James Lowery is listed in the 1860 census at Union Parish, age 45,
farmer, a native of Alabama. He had several children, and there were
several other Lowery families living nearby, presumably his brothers or
Madnot - see Hadnot
Could this be William Maxwell, who lived at Effie, and was one of
the organizers of Oak Grove Church, signing its original articles of
McCan, Britta(?) or brother
This was probably the father of Buck McCan. The father was the
first McCann to settle in the area, having moved from Mississippi.
Buck McCann was preacher at Oak Grove in early 1900s. His son,
Archie McCann followed in his father's footsteps and also served as
preacher, as well as a school teacher at the McCann School where the
Lafargue School is today.
The 1860 census lists only one McCan family in Avoyelles - that of
Hyram McCan. Hyram was listed age 43, native of Louisiana, a farmer with
$7,000 of real estate and $1,000 or other property. His wife, Melissa, was
43 years of age, and there were five children listed in their home, ranging
in age from 19 down to 7 years.
Hyram McCan married, at Avoyelles, Feb. 28, 1839 Melissa Wilson,
daughter of John and Hepsibah Wilson.
This was Otho William Nalley who built his home in 1856 where Rev.
Parish spent the night. This old Nalley home still stands in Rapides Parish
not far from the Avoyelles Parish line, under the Ruby Water Tower at an
area known as Cedar Grove. The 1861 confederate map shows its location at
this point where the Ruby Road joins with the Marksville-Pineville road.
Nalley's great-great grandaughter, Rhonda Ryland, still lives in the old
home. The house is said to have been stagecoach stop in olden times,
according a relative. About three Nalley families live next door to the old
Nalley home. Otho Nalley was an original Vestryman of St. John's Episcipal
Church in Alexandria, founded in the 1860s, according to Ms. Ryland.
Lived at Holoway Prairie, according to Rev. Parish notes of August
Newel, old brother
There was a Cornelius Nugent, who was married to Amanda Sums. Children included:
James Monroe Nugent-b/ July 25, 185; d. June
4, 1908. Buried in Methodist Cemetery
in Pineville. Elected to State Senate. Married Roberta Stephens.
Francis Oliver Nugent - brother of James Monroe - b. Sept. 13, 1855; d. Nov.
28, 1889. Buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Rapides Parish. James Harrison
Nugent - b. April 17, 1887 to Francis Oliver Nugent and Dolly Crump(?)
in Grant Parish, LA Dale Oliver Nugent - b. March 4, 1885 to Francis
Oliver Nugent and Dolly Crump(?) in Louisiana. Frances Henrietta Nugent - b.
November 7, 1877 to Francis Oliver Nugent and Dolly Crump (?) in
Louisiana.(Submitted by Frances E. Nugent, 1125 F Street, Centralia, WA 98531, (306) 736-3108)
Matthew Nugent (1808?-1879) and his wife, Miss Mackie
Professor Matthew Nugent was a son of William Nugent. Matthew
taught school at Fish Creek, according to one of his students, ........,
who is his niece. She said she attended the school in the 1910s.
Probably the same Matthew Nugent, (1808-1879), son of Mattew and
Zylpha Nugent, of Grant and Rapides Parish. See bio and photo page 35 of
Nugent Family History. Photo courtesy of Sarah Bowman.
William Nugent lived at Fish Creek, La., according to his
granddaughter, ....... (Mrs. Delloyd ......), who was born in 1905 and
interviewed Nov. 1994. William's sons included Matthew.
According to another descendant, Carol Rabalais, William Nugent
(1822-1900), son of Hugh Nugent native of Ireland and Jane Mackie, was born
1 Nov. 1822 married 1847 Tousette Hollingsworth, and died 6 Jan. 1900. They
had at least one son, Benjamen James Nugent, born 1854 in what is now Grant
Parish, died 1914 in Pineville, LA, married Julia Deen, daughter of Doctor
Maybe related to:
OLCATT Charles, was the son of John Easton Olcott and
Hannah Sands Olcott) and Julia Ann Duval Olcott. They were married in New York
City November 4, 1813 and resided in Boyce, Rapides Parish, La. both
died in 1819 of Yellow Fever leaving children, Julia Ann Olcott born in 1814
and Charles Henry Olcott born in 1817. After the death of their parents,
the children were sent to live with relatives in the north after being
temporarily cared for by an uncle, Joseph Olcott. I understand that
Joseph Olcott was a planter in Linesville, La who died in the early 1860's. He
was married to Annie Taliaferra and their children were Annie and Joseph
Olcott. There was also another brother, Rev. James Olcott who M. Mary Ann Gugel." Submitted by: Florence B. Norback, 5501 Dewey Hill Rd., Edina, MN 55439-1906, e-mail: Flobhn@aol.com
Oneals, Mr. (March 13)
Possibly same or related to the O' Neal family of Bethel Methodist Church:
One of the oldest graves at Bethel Methodist Church in northeast
Rapides Parish is that of Nathaniel O'Neal, born Jan. 1, 1837, died Oct.
20, 1907. Mr. O'Neal's wife, Ellen B. Lawrence, was born Aug. 21, 1858,
died June 7, 1925. Their graves lie side by side. There are several other
graves of O'Neal family members at the cemetery - we assume children and
descendents of Nathaniel O'Neal.
The 1880 census lists Nathaniel O'Neal and his wife, Mary Ellen
Lawrence, living in Rapides Parish, both natives of Louisiana. The census
has different birthyears of the O'Neals than is on their gravestone. The
census states he was born in 1843 and she in 1846. There were four children
living in their home at the time of the census, ranging in age from two to
16 years of age. Mr. O'Neal was a veteran of the Confederate Army. Also
listed in the census living in the same ward, Ward Nine, were other O'Neal
families - all headed by men of about the same age as Nathaniel.
According to Claude Parish, who lives at Holloway Prairie either on
or near the old Oneal site, and who is related to both the Oneals and Rev.
Parish, the Oneal family lived along what is today Highway 28 west of the
intersection with Highway 115.
Parker, brother (Dec. 16)
Paul, Nathaniel, Mr. (Joined Newel's Union March 9)
Price, Fountain, brother
Fountain Price is listed in the 1860 census of Rapides Parish as 36
years of age, male, Farmer, with $600 of personal property. he was a native
of Louisiana. His wife, Sarah, and he had five chidlren listed in thier
home: Elizabeth, 11; John W, 9; Reece, 6; Amelia, 3; and Fountain, age 4
Price, Reece, brother
Rauld, brother (Jan. 1)
Reeves, brother (March 19)
Renalds, Mr (May 13) Reynalds, Mr. (June 8)
According to Walter Reynolds, interviewed at age 83, born ca 1914,
suspects that the "Mr. Reynolds" that was old enough to be dying in June of
1861 was his great grandfather or great uncle.
Walter's grandfather was named Robert. He had brothers named John,
David, and James. According to the 1850 census Robert was 6 years old at
the time. The Reynolds plantation was a large family farm. It included
arpents of land directly adjacent to each other on both the north and south
side of the river at what is today Ruby and Poland.
Rider, Mr. (Oct. 1)
Riley, Uriah, Rev.? (July 7)
Roc(?), brother (Jan. 18)
Roes, Pleasant (July 22) or town name?
Russel, James, Mr. (Oct. 23)
Says, brother (Aug. 6)
Possibly same as:
Martin Sayes who was one of the signers of the Oak Grove articles
of incorporation in May of 1859.
Scott, Gen (Confederate)
Scroggs, old sister
Possibly widow or wife of William Scroggs, an early justice of the
peace of the Ward One area of Avoyelles Parish. Probably was the mother of
John C. Scroggs, who was married in Avoyelles in 1852.
Sculock, Brother - OCT. 3
Snoddy, old brother
Possibly same as:
Andrew "Andy" Snoddy who was one of the three original board of
trustee members of the Oak Grove Church when it was incorporated in May of
1859. Snoddy html file of various notes: Snoddy notes including last will and testament of James Snoddy in 1858
Sturk, Mr. (March 20)
Apparently lived near Bear Creek, or between there and Rapides.
Talley, old man
The 1861 Confederate Map shows the Talley Plantation northeast of
Tiler, Mrs. (April 14)
Tison, Hamilton, brother
Get from Grant Parish history and 1860 census.
The 1860 census lists hamilton Tyson, age 37, native of La., a
farmer with $5,000 or real estate and $3,190 of personal property. He and
his wife, Laura Ann, age 27, were listed with four children. Also listed
living in their home was Martha Irwin, age 14, who is apparently the same
Martha Irwin who later married Seldon T. Parish.
Tison, Job, brother
Get from Grant Parish history and 1860 census.
William Tison, (II) (1812-1863) born in Georgia, came to Louisiana
when only six years old in 1818 with his father, also named William Tison.
William (II) was a raftsman on Black and Little Rivers for many years. He
died in 1863. He and his wife, Sarah Roe (1825-1865) of Louisiana, were
both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They had six
1) William J. Tison, born 1840, who married Elizabeth LaCroix in
1865. William and Elizabeth had eight children, one of whom, W. W. Tison,
served as President of Northwestern University at Natchitoches, La. from
2) Another son of William J. Tison was James Edward Tison, who
donated land to establish Hollan Chapel Methodist Church in Grant Parish -
across the street from the present home of his daughter, Mildred Tison
Frazier.(SOURCES: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Northwest Louisiana, 1890;
Grant Parish History; Interviews with Mildred Tison Frazier and Camilla
1860 census of Union Parish:
Wallis, James, 55, m, Ala., farmer. wife and several children.
Oldest son, M. Wallas, age 16, born in Mississippi
Wallace, J. B., 55, m, S.C., farmer, wife and several children.
oldest age 21, all born in La.
Wallace, W. , 28, m, Ga., farmer, wife and one child, age 6 born in Ga.
Wallace, W. B., 39, m., Ga., farmer, wife and children, age 3, born
at Ga. age 1 at La.
Wallace, J. B., 47, m., Ga., farmer, wife Ala, children, oldest 17,
all at La.
Wallas, W. A., 44, m, N. C., farmer, wife and children, youngest 8,
all born at Ala.
Catahoula Parish (Now LaSalle Parish)
This is probably Uriah V. Whatley, or possibly his father, William
Whatley, both Methodist Ministers of early Catahoula. Uriah was the first
pastor at the Methodist Church at Eden's (The Whatley country), then
located at Catahoula Parish, but since 1910 is LaSalle Parish. William
Whately came in 1815, supposedly after the battle of New Orleans, according
to a Lasalle History, but Chambers' history says he had set up the first
church here in 1788, the first west of the Mississippi River. William
Whatley established his home at the fork of Clear and Trout Creeks and
founded his church on his property while being a preacher, farmer and
Whistine, old man (June 7)
Whittinghill, sister (April 3&9)
Monica Wilbanks Buzbee provided this possible match: Jesse Willbanks b. 1826, Pulaski County, Arkansas. Son of Wiley Willbanks
(b. btw. 1780-1790 in SC) and Unknown Hill (b. ca. 1814/1815 in Madison
County, IL).Wiley Willbanks is noted in the 1830 and 1840 federal censuses for
Louisiana, during the former in Claiborne Parish and in the latter, in Rapides
Parish. There is additionally an Amanda Hill in the 1850 census, Claiborne
Parish. I have no idea if she is Wiley Wilbanks' wife or related in any way.
If this is the sam Jesse Willbanks mentioned in the 1861 diary on December 19, then he would have clearly been in adulthood, perhaps around 35 years old. It
would not have been surprising for him to have a family of his own and to
have been visited by a minister.
Other Methodist Ministers of Avoyelles noted on old records:
Halbery, Chas. J., Rev., Methodist Minister, performed marriage in
Avoyelles on Oct. 21, 1852 of Sarah Jane Davis and Ferdinand M., Sloan.
Witnesses: Wm. Brannon, F. B. Waters, S. J. Whyte.
Gridley, Cypryan, Rev., Methodist Minister, performed marriage in
Avoyelles in May of 1848 of Dr. James McEnery to Mary R. Stirling.
Robert Parvin. - appointed for 1866 to Marksville Circuit. See Conf.
Records. (probably contained Marksville, and Oak Grove. (Evergreen was
Circuit by itself with Big Cane, Henry White, Preacher) Don't know which
circuit Simmesport was in.
W. H. Frost, Chaplain in C.S.A., appointed to Simmesport Circuit for 1864.
R. M. Crowson & F> White, Chaplain in C. S. A. appointed to Evergreen & Big
Cane Circuit for 1864
Evergreen & Big Cane Circuit - Fred White
Simmesport - Joshua F. Schurlock & Henry B. Frazee
Evergreen - Uriah Riley
Evergreen & Evergreen Mission