1852 - May 15, 1906
|Charles D. Shallowhorne was born in the parish of Iberville, La., 54 years ago, and was called from labor to reward from Wesley Chapel, Baton Rouge, La., May 15, 1906. He was converted to God when a boy, admitted to the Louisiana Conference in 1882. He gave successful service to the church for upward of 25 years, at Jackson, New Iberia, Fairfield, Haven Chapel, St. James, Shreveport: Alexandria, Mallalieu, Donaldsonville, Thibodoaux, residing Elder of Monroe District, St. James, Shreveport, and last by Wesley Chapel, Baton Rouge, where he beautified the church, and put in a $700.00 Pipe organ in the four months which he served there before he entered into his eternal reward.
His entire life was spent in trying to do good for his fellowmen in his way. He was a great favorite with the young people and the cause of education. He established the Hartzell Academy at Donaldsonville, La., and was on the Board of Trustees of the Southern University a State Institution, by appointment from Gov. Blanchard, at the time of his death. He was prominent in church affairs and figured greatly in our Louisiana Methodism.
His wife Mrs. Lucy J. Shallowhorne stood by him heroically and they were partners. He was President Preacher’s Aid Society at his death.
His death removes a leading spirit from our midst. To his bereaved ones we extend our sympathies and shall pray for guidance and help for them. He leaves h is widow in fair circumstances in life and his adopted son. Dr. W. E. Shallowhorne with an education whereby he may be able to care for himself. Rest on brother we will see you again.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1906|