September 4, 1865 - September 9, 1911
|Rev. J. P. Haney was born in East Feliciana Parish September 4th, 1865, and died at Clinton, La., September 9, 1911. He joined the M. E. Church, South, at Gilead church on the East Feliciana Circuit in the year 1865, and was received into the Mississippi Conference on trial at Brookhaven, Miss., in 1891, and received as his first appointment the Talysheek Circuit. He continued his relation with the Mississippi Conference until the year 1894, doing his work in that part of Louisiana then embraced in the Woodville District, and when this territory was ceded by the General Conference to the Louisiana Conference, he was transferred by that act to this Conference where he continued in arduous and devoted service until God severed that sacred relation and called him to spheres of higher and more blissful service.
During his itinerant career he served with distinction and unflinching loyalty to God and his church, some of the most arduous and difficult mission fields of our Conference and was never known to complain or give way to discouragement or despondency. He was always one of the most optimistic men among us and his success was attributable largely to the fact that this element of equipment was sufficiently developed to be contagious and always inspired a spirit of helpfulness in his co-workers on his charges.
Brother Haney was a close student, an accurate thinker and a strong preacher. He read many of the best books and kept apace with modern thought, but was always rigidly orthodox in his convictions.
During his twenty years of service in the itinerancy, he served acceptably Talysheek, Live Oak, Pine Grove, Bayou, Lora, Bunkie and Marksville, Indian Bayou, Montgomery and Colfax, Opelousas, Wilson, St. Helena, Ponchatoula and East Feliciana, where he died in joyous anticipation of the “crown of life.”
The last two years of his life his health began to break down and though he was a great sufferer, he bore his sufferings with heroic patience and fortitude, resisting with vigor the impairment of disease in order that he might prosecute with diligence the work assigned him. Hopeful till near the end that he might be spared yet longer to continue his work for our Master, but still beautifully resigned to the will of God.
He was most happily married to Miss Leola Hatcher of East Feliciana Parish, March 11, 1886, and from this union were born six bright and beautiful children, five girls all now about grown to a noble young Christian womanhood, and a precious and bright little boy, John Jr., who slipped away from their fond embrace to join the angels at the sweet and tender age of nineteen months. Bitter indeed was this great bereavement, but with Christian resignation he bowed beneath the disposing hand of the Master and said “Thy will be done.” Nor was this all of his affliction, for,
On March 11th, of this year, the twenty-fifth anniversary of their marriage, and while he was prostrated with what proved to be his last illness, his beloved wife slipped away from his bedside at the call of her Master, and entered within the gates of the city where she awaited a few brief months his coming home. And still while torn and withered with this bitterest of sorrows, her heart harrowed with a desolating bereavement, he exemplified that rarest and most excellent of Christian virtues, a complete resignation.
|Source: Journal Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1911, page 57, by J. W. Lee.|