Stayton, Fannie (Mrs. J.D.)


1828 - Aug. 3, 1912
Mrs. Fannie Stayton was born in Kentucky and moved with her husband, J. D. . Stayton, to Louisiana, and there with him took part in the various appointments given them in the Louisiana Conference. She often felt that the work was hard and required great sacrifice, work, and suffering; for the mode of traveling from appointment to appointment was not, as now, by trains of cars, but often by private conveyances, such as wagons, carriages, or buggies. She did not murmur, but, like the heroine she was, stayed by Brother Stayton and assisted him in the great work of the itinerancy until, over twenty-five years ago, he fell at his post, near Coushatta.
Here, being left a widow with several children, she managed to give them a liberal education and reared them to manhood and womanhood. By economy and good management she also provided herself and them a comfortable home, where, with a little help she received from the Conference, she lived in tolerable comfort. She always felt that her house was the preachers' home, and wanted them to feel so. She loved to entertain them and wanted them to visit her. About a year before she died she was visited by the presiding elder accompanying the writer, who was then her pastor. The visit she appreciated very much, and she joined in the prayer very earnestly. The writer, as pastor, visited her quite often, and always found her glad to receive him and his wife as often as they could come, still insisting on their coming oftener. Her health began to fail her a little over a year before she died, though she kept going. During this time she would say she would be glad if the time would come for her to go, for she was ready and anxious to go to her heavenly home. She constantly trusted her blessed Saviour. Being asked several times by her pastor if she was prepared to go to her reward, she would always say that she was ready.
She was confined to her bed a week or so before she died. During this time, if asked how it was with her, she would always say: "All right." A few days before death came she became paralyzed in her right side, which affected her tongue. On being asked by her pastor if she was still ready to go home to glory, she tried to talk but could not articulate plainly, but indicated that she was ready and waiting. She, died on the 4th of August, 1912. We buried her in the Springville Cemetery on August.5.
She was a grand Christian woman, and was distressed to see the people so indifferent to
Church and Church work. Let us follow her as she followed Christ Jesus our Lord and meet her in glory. She was about eighty-four years of age.
Source: Journal Louisiana Conference Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1912, page 70, by R. A. Davis.

Found an issue with this page? Click here to let us know.