November 18, 1852 - 1924
|Anna Elizabeth Hardy, wife of Rev. D. C. Barr, was born at Opelika, Ala., on November 18, 1852, and would have been 72 years old had she lived to her next birthday. She came to Louisiana in early childhood, about the year of 1860, and lived near Ringgold, La. Her father enlisted in the Confederacy, and upon his return from the war settled on a Red River plantation near Montgomery, La. Here is where she went to school, and her early childhood was built upon the broad plane of a wide outlook on life. She was married to Rev. D. C. Barr on October 18, 1875, while he was a local preacher; later, he joined the Annual Conference. She had eleven children. Eight of them are living. A host of grandchildren mourn her loss.
Nature had bestowed upon her a robust constitution that held out until the last few years. She was blessed with a peaceful and quiet disposition, and seemed never to grow impatient. Diligence, patience and untiring energy were always displayed in all her plans and purposes in life.
As the faithful wife of an itinerant Methodist preacher, she fitted in beautifully to all the changes of place and circumstances. Her delight was to make the parsonage home a place of Christian hospitality, nurture and culture. Hers was an open home to all her friends, especially to ministers of the Gospel, where they found a “Haven of Rest.”
Her outlook on life was one of loving service. Her ministry to suffering and needy humanity was like that of an angel of mercy. She gave a deeper meaning to life. In the kindly voice was to be heard the sweet, gentle tone of a loving heart; in her kindly helpfulness was to be felt the wafted breezes of heaven, and in the atmosphere of her presence, any one felt at home. She was well known as “Mother Barr.”
Sweet rest came to her in the evening of life, quietly and peacefully, and she is now at home with the angels in heaven, to await the coming of her loved ones. Her body was placed in the family lot in the beautiful Oak Ridge Cemetery, where the grave was covered with many and beautiful floral offerings, coming from friends all over the State.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1925, Pages 117 , by Albert S. Lutz.|