Jan. 13, 1868-July 17, 1930
|Mrs. Lucle Mae Sample Henderson, beloved wife of the Rev. W. F. Henderson and daughter of Henry H. and Susan Scott Sample, was born near Keatchie, La., January 13, 1868; was called to her eternal reward 4rom her home In Shreveport, La., July 17, 1930.
On the first day of November, 1888, she was happily married to Rev. W. F. Henderson, a member of the Louisiana Conference, with whom she bravely and unfalteringly fought the battles of the itinerancy for more than forty years. To this union were born five children: Rev. H. C. Henderson, D. D., of Marfa, Texas, a member of the New Mexico Conference; Dr. Walter Henderson, a prominent physician of New Orleans; Mrs. Julius Long, Mrs. S. H. Betts, and Mrs. W. J. Hickman of Shreveport, La. With her husband and five children she also leaves two step-children:
Mrs. Anna Wallace of Stevensville, Texas, and Rev. W. F. Henderson, Jr., of the Louisiana Conference, and also five grandchildren, as well as other relatives and a host of friends and acquaintances.
Sister Henderson was a graduate of the Keatchle College and specialized in muic. She was cultured, refined, gentle and amiable, and possessed to a remarkable degree those rare qualities which make one truly great in life. She had implicit and unwavering faith in God, and constantly lived in the blessed hope of eternal life. She fully dedicated her life to unselfish service for others and to the Christ she loved and trusted. Her life was one of usefulness and was crowned with success. She possessed a high degree of intellectuality, having those gifts and attainments which were necessary for the building of the wonderful character she contributed to the world. She was In every way worthy of the esteem and confidence she enjoyed from all who knew her. She adorned her home, guided her children aright, gladdened the heart of her husband, purified society, strengthened her Church, encouraged her pastor, and honored her Lord.
During the many weary months—yea, years— of declining health and intense suffering, she never complained and was cheerful and was hopeful until the light of this life went out, and she was transplanted to the realm of fadeless light in the blessed beyond.
As her pastor, and as one who had known and loved her for more than thirty years, being assisted by Dr. H. T. Carley and Dr, Robt. E. Goodrich, we conducted the services in the home, 6505 Southern Avenue, in the midst of a profusion of beautiful flowers and in the presence of a large assembly of sorrowing friends, after which we laid her body to rest in the beautiful Forest Park Cemetery.
Her days are o’er, real life begun,
Yes, She’s gone, shall we say: “She’s dead ?“
J. M. Alford
|Source: Annual of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Pages 113-114, 1931|