March 19, 1895 - August 2, 1939
|Mrs. Nellie LeBlanc La Grange was born near Labadieville, La., on March 19, 1895; was married to Mr. Geo. A. La Grange, a young man of her own neighborhood, on April 16, 1915. Afterward, she and her husband, having come into the Methodist Church, together attended the MacDonell School in Houma. Of their union there is an only son, Carlton.
Meanwhile her husband had been licensed to preach, and was later admitted into the Louisiana Conference. Together they served in the French Mission field, several years in the Lottie Charge and at Marksville, when in the fifth year of her husband’s pastorate there, August 2, 1939, she died suddenly as the dawn spread over the town.
The writer’s first recollection of Mrs. La Grange is that of an attractive young woman who had been invited to speak to a group of Christian workers in New Orleans about the French Mission work. In the living room of an elegant residence on Audubon Boulevard she was perfectly at home. She accomplished great good and enlisted a large interest in her chosen work on such occasions as this when she talked, always interestingly, of the work of the French Mission field.
In Marksville Mrs. La Grange was a member of the Garden Club and otherwise active in the civic and social life of the town, in addition to her untiring labors in the activities of the Church.
Mrs. La Grange deserves a high place of honor among those who have been called upon to carry on as wives and mothers in the parsonage home.
The large number of friends who attended her funeral in Marksvifle, with interment in Greenwood Cemetery, Pineville, indicated the esteem in which she was held.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Pages 113-114, 1939, by B. H. Harper|