March 10, 1849 - June 19, 1949
|John Russell Roy was born on March 10, 1849, on a farm near Jonesville, Bradley County, Arkansas, and was one of eleven children born to John Lee and Elifair Roy. John Russell remained in Bradley County until he was a grown man.
On March 17, 1881, he was married to Miss Maggie Dopson of Warren, Arkansas, and in 1881 moved to Louisiana.
Brother Roy joined the Ministry of the Methodist Church and was admitted at the Alexandria Conference in December, 1891, under Bishop Keener. He was ordained Deacon in 1892 and Elder in 1895. His first appointment was to the Lower Coast Mission some sixty miles south of New Orleans, the parsonage was at Daisy, La., and for two years he served the four churches of this mission. From this work he moved to Simsport then to Columbia and to Plain Dealing.
At his own request, Brother Roy was transferred in the fall of 1898 to the North Texas Conference and appointed to Bryson, Texas. In the fall of 1903 he was transferred back to the Louisiana Conference and appointed to Gibsland, following this his appointments were Bastrop and Rayville, but within four years after returning from the Texas Conference he was compelled to give up his active work because of ill health which kept him out for eight years. In 1915, his health being greatly improved, he returned to the regular pastorate and was appointed to Gilbert, after this he served West Monroe, Mer Rouge, Bossier City, Abbeville, Rayne, Sterlington, Ida-Hosston, Calhoun and Montrose where in at the age of 79 he asked for the Superannuate relation.
Brother and Mrs. Roy moved to Shreveport where they owned a modest little home and where he remained until the day of his departure from this earthly tabernacle returning unto his heavenly home on June 19, 1949, where he will certainly receive a crown of glory for the many souls he had pointed to God and the many good deeds of his life.
Nine children were born to bless the Roy household and was survived by his widow, three sons and one daughter.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 167, 1950 by James B. Grambling.|