1872 - 1951
|Charles Mose Hughes was born in Vernon Parish, Louisiana in 1872 and died in Leesville, La., November 13, 1951.
Brother Hughes was a graduate of State Teachers College in Bowling Green, Ky. He did graduate work in the University of Chicago. After teaching In several Louisiana schools, he was superintendent of schools of Madison Parish and later of the city of Baton Rouge and the schools of that parish.
He was first married to Miss Olive Mace of Tennessee. They had one daughter, Mrs. Charleen McClain. While he was headmaster of Centenary Academy in Shreveport, La., he was married to Miss Ellidee Beazley. At that time he was Superintendent of the Sunday School at Noel Memorial Methodist Church where Miss Beazley was the organist and choir director.
He went, from Shreveport to Siloam Springs, Ark., where he was associated with the John Brown College. From there he went to Huntsville, Ark., as principal of the high school. While he was there he decided to devote his life to the ministry and joined the North Arkansas Conference.
He preached one year in Huntsville and was transferred to the Memphis Conference and served the following charges: La Center, Lone Oak, Bruceton, Obion.
He was editor of “Memphis Conference News,” the official organ of the Memphis Conference, for four years.
In 1938 Brother Hughes transferred to the Louisiana Conference and served at Waterproof, La., for eight years. He retired from the ministry in 1946 and moved to Leesville, La., where he resided until his death.
Brother Hughes was a “gentleman of the old school.” He loved the Methodist Church and its ministry. He was loved by all who knew him. His sense of humor lasted to the end. He was always ready with a smile and a joke. He loved flowers and spent much time raising dahlias and giving them to the sick and to churches. He served a great ministry.
He was buried in Leesville, La., with the Rev. Karl Tooke, Rev. E. D. Haug, and Rev. John F. Kilpatrick, officiating at his funeral.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 162-163, 1952 by John F. Kilpratick.|