Morris, Fannie Elizabeth Emmerich (Mrs. Virgil D.)


April 16, 1907 - 1953
On April 16, 1907, there was born to Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Emmerich of McComb, Miss. a daughter, who was named Fannie Elizabeth. She was the youngest of the four children and the only daughter. Her brothers were J. Oliver, Charlie 0., and Earl B. Being the only girl and the youngest, she was somewhat the pet of the family and always well beloved by her brothers.
She attended the Public Schools of McComb where she graduated from High School. As a child she joined the Centenary Methodist Church and grew up within it’s. fellowship.
She began her college work at Mississippi State College for Women, but later transferred to Mississippi Woman’s College at Hattiesburg, from which institution he graduated in 1930. It was during her College years that she began to be called “Fae”.
Mr. Emmerich was a Conductor on the I. C. Railroad, and in 1928 it became necessary for the family to move to New Orleans. After finishing College, and while living with her parents there Fae took a Business Course at Soule. Later she worked in the office of Dr. R. S. Crichlow, New Orleans District Lay Leader.
It was while working in Dr. Crichlow’s office that she first met her future husband, the Rev. Virgil D. Morris who was then serving his first charge in Louisiana — the Delta Circuit. On Sept. 6, 1932 they were married in the Carrollton Ave. Methodist Church with which the Emmerich’s had affiliated after moving to New Orleans. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. B. F. Rogers and Dr. W. L. Doss, Jr. — her pastor and the Presiding Elder of the New Orleans District.
From the first this seemed to have been an unusually happy union, and throughout the years her friends thought of Fae as a well-beloved and loving wife. To this union were born two children, Ouida Fae, on March 23, 1934 in New Orleans, and Virgil Dixon, Jr. on March 20, 1937 in Monroe while the Morrises were living in Columbia. (Attendant upon the birth of both children Fae suffered serious illness. At the birth of Ouida Fae her very life was despaired of for a time.)
After leaving New Orleans the Morrises served the church at Columbia for five years, Lafayette First Church for three years, Homer for two years. In 1941 Mr. Morris was made District Superintendent of the Baton Rouge District, which he served for four years, returning to the pastorate to serve First Church, Alexandria for four years. At Conference in June 1952 he was appointed D. S. of the New Orleans District.
Fae was always a gay and friendly disposition, and made fast friends wherever she lived. Her ready smile and out-going friendliness made her well-suited to being a minister’s wife. As wife of the District Superintendent she won the hearts and affections of the Minister’s wives of the District. In her they felt they had a true friend and confidante. She was a charter member of the “Parsonettes” of New Orleans as a bride. And twenty-one years later she was the well-loved heart of that group as the wife of the District 8uperintendant.
From time to time she held various offices in the local W.S.C.S. of which organization she served as Sec’y of Spiritual Life in First Church, Alexandria and Sec’y of Missionary Education at Rayne in N.O. She was Promotion Sec’y for the District while in Baton Rouge. She was also a member of P. E. 0. — which she referred to as one of the happiest associations of her life.
Fae’s twenty-one years of married life were full and happy ones. It was the family custom whenever possible to make some long and interesting trips in the Summer. In time every state in the Union was visited except three, and two trips into Canada were made. While living in Alexandria it was made possible for her to accompany her husband when he attended the Ecumenical Methodist Conference in London. A number of countries of Europe were included in the itinerary to make this a most delightful trip.
Another much anticipated trip was projected to Mexico City for the Summer of ‘53; but this trip was hardly begun before it was ended. On the second day in Mexico near Valles the Morris car was involved in a highway accident, and Fae met instant death. Her husband was seriously injured and the children much shaken up, but they responded nobly to the crisis into which they were so suddenly thrust.
Her radiant spirit, her gay humor, and so many little personal mannerisms remain vivid in our memory.
Source: Annual of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 173-175, 1954 by Mrs. Earl B. Emmerich.

Found an issue with this page? Click here to let us know.