August 17, 1872 - February 13, 1958
|George D. Parker was born in New Orleans, Louisiana on August 17, 1872, the son of Margaret O’Neal and Daniel Parker. He died on February 13, 1958 in Jacksonville, Florida.
On March 10 1908 George D. Parker was married to Miss Ada Mae Stewart. Miss Stewart served as Principal of Collegio Methodista in Brazil. At the time of her marriage she was serving as Principal of a school which is now known as Bennett College in Rio de Janiero. She died in Jacksonville, Florida in 1948. Brother Parker was educated in the public and private schools in New Orleans and in Centenary College, where he prepared for the ministry. He served as supply pastor for various churches in New Orleans. His first pastorate was at Carrolton Avenue Methodist Church in New Orleans where he served from 1896-1901. He was appointed to mission work in Brazil where he served from 1901-1937.
His first pastorate In Brazil was the English-speaking congregation which was held at Cattete Church. This was followed by his pastorate at the National Congregation at Jardin Botanical.
Other appointments of Brother Parker include:
The Sabara Circuit, Bello Horizonte District; Quartel Congregation; First Church in Bello Horizonte; the Anglican Church at Morro Vellio Gold Mine; the Church in Petropolis; District Superintendent of Rio de Janiero District; the Church in Uraguyana; District Superintendent of Uraguyana District;
The Church at Santa Maria—while here he purchased property and built a church and parsonage, and also purchased land and opened what is now known as Centenary College in Brazil.
City of Rosario—where a residence was purchased and adapted for use as a church;
Santa Anna do Livromento—at which time he organized the first vacation bible school ever held in Brazil, and cooperated with the W. C. T. U. in organizing the first chapter of that organization in Brazil;
From there they went to the State Capitol, Porto Alegra, with pastorate at the church of Gloria. Here he also held a Chair of Religious Education in the Methodist Theological Seminary, which was, then in connection with Porto Alegra College. Here he raised funds locally and bought a building for the Church at Gloria. The people of Brazil spoke of him as the “church builder”.
In addition to his many pastorates, he made many evangelistic trips throughout Brazil—teaching and preaching—many of these trips were made by horseback over mountain roads.
While in Brazil, Dr. Parker also served as Agent for the Methodist Printing House in Rio. HB was Editor and Publisher of all Sun day School literature for the Brazilian Church. Served as Secretary of Young Peoples Organization and was Principal of Union Cuilege in Uraguyana.
While in the States on furlough in 1930, he was elected by the Annual Conference as a delegate to the General Conference in Dallas, Texas. Because of his work and knowledge of Brazil, he was selected by the delegation to speak at the General Conference, requesting authority to organize an autonomous church in Brazil— which request was granted. Dr. Parker often said that this was one of his most treasured memories.
Many prominent christian workers of Brazil are numbered among his students and converts—Eduardo Azaro and Joao Amaral being among them.
In 1937 Dr. Parker was stricken with Glaucoma and was forced to retire from his work and leave his beloved Brazil.
He moved to Jacksonville Florida, making that city his home, and although totally blind, served as teacher for the Gardner Beckett Sunday School Class of Avondale Methodist Church from 1949-1956.
Dr. Parker was loved by all. His faith, his love for his fellow man and his outlook on life was an inspiration to all who knew him.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 184-185, 1958 by Robert B. Chapman, Jr.|