Morgan, G.A.


August 28, 1888 - June 21, 1959
On Sunday morning, June 21, 1959 the transfer of membership was made for Reverend G. A. Morgan from the Church militant to the Church Triumphant. In his home-going the Conference surrendered one of its most beloved members. In appointment after appointment he loved the people from sin to grace for they saw reflected in his life the image of the Christ. He forgot self, exalted Christ and preached that the way of the Cross leads home. With St. Paul he determined early in his ministry that he would preach Christ and Him crucified.
Early in the writer’s life Brother Morgan came to be his minister. It was under the influence of this preacher’s Christ-like life that he was persuaded to yield himself to Jesus, so richly exemplified in his Pastor’s life. What memories linger yet of that teenage boy who on a summer Sunday night, walked down the aisle to give Brother Morgan his hand and his heart to God.
When the years began to come upon this preacher of the Word, and his body was tired with its infirmities, he never lost his smile or his gentle word of hope.
Born at Indian Bayou, Louisiana, August 28, 1888 he received his early education in the schools there. Later he took a business course in Shreveport and subsequently was enrolled in Centenary College.
On December 17, 1907 he married Edith Hoffpauir of Indian Bayou and to this union was born two sons, G. A. Morgan, Jr., who resides at Silver Springs, Maryland, and Creighton Morgan who resides in Shreveport, Louisiana.
Brother Morgan heard God’s call to the ministry and yielded himself to it. He joined the Louisiana Conference in December, 1908. In the course of his splendid ministry he served the following appointments: Glenmora, Provencial, Opelousas, Jonesboro, Hounia, Mission, Jonesboro, Bastrop, Hammond, Arcadia, Springhill and Mangum Memorial, after which he transferred to the West Central Conference in Texas. This was occasioned by an effort to find a coinpatable dllmate. For Brother Morgan was plagued with an asthmatic condition which brought constant discomfort. West Texas, however, proved no better climate for his illness and after three years he returned to his beloved Louisiana and to his favorite appointment at Jonesboro once again. From there to Wlnnfield, Springhlll, Cedar Grove, Jennings, Ida, Haughton and Hodge where he served the last 7 years of his ministry, and from whence he retired and moved to nearby Jonesboro where he made his home until that fateful day June 21, 1959 when God called him from labor to rest.
At his going we think of the lines of Samuel Coleridge— “How well he fell asleep!
Like some proud river, widening toward the sea;
Calmly and grandly, silently and deep, Life joined Eternity.”
How sweet is the memory of this humble servant of God. And we who are left behind know that in God’s good time when the “Silver Cord is loosed and the pitcher is broken at the well” we shall join him there. For the “Beyondness” of life is real, the reality of the invisible is unmistakable and heaven is very near.
“Blessed assurance Jesus is mine,
0 What a foretaste of Glory divine. Heir of salvation, purchase of God, Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.”
And this shall be our story and our song as it was his in life and in death, “Praising my Savior all the day long”.
Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 194-195, 1960 by George W. Pomeroy.

Found an issue with this page? Click here to let us know.