December 24, 1868 - October 30, 1961
|Rev. William B. Van Valkenburg, son of Rev. Francis D. Van Valken-burg and Nettie Bazemore Van Valkenburg, was born December 24th, 1868 at Warren, Arkansas. He came to the end of his earthly journey on Oct. 30th, 1961 at 9:30 in the evening. Thus ended the long and useful ministry of one of God’s faithful servants.
The funeral service was conducted Wednesday, Nov. 1st, 1981 at 9:30 A.M., from Legett Memorial Methodist Church, Bioxi, Miss. The body was then carried to New Orleans for burial in Hope Mausoleum, St. John’s Cemetery.
Brother Van Valkenburg attended Centenary College, for a time, but received his A.B. Degree from Trinity College at Hartford, Conn. Later he received the Degree of Bachelor of Systematic Theology from the Boston University School of Theology.
He began his ministry as Pastor .at Iowa, La., in 1901-1902. He then transferred to St. Louis Conference and served the following Churches: Tuxe-do Park, (now Haggerty Memorial) 1903-1904, Drexel 1905, Bernard 1906-1907. He then went to Boston University School of Theology, where he received his Degree of Bachelor of Systematic Theology in 1909. Leaving the University he took work in the New England Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church where he served from 1910 to 1924. Among the Churches he served during this period were: Harverhill, Marblehead, West Springfield, Ludlow, Plainville and Westboro, Massachusetts. He transferred to the Gulf Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and served as District Super-intendent of the Lake Charles District, 1925-1926. The Pastorates he served in this Conference were: Texas City, 1927-1928, Eighth Street New Orleans, 1929, Marshall, Texas 1930. He transferred to Kansas Conference and served Galesburg 1931-32, Peru 1933, Elgin, 1934. He came back to the Southern (Gulf) Conference, and served as Pastor at Lutcher from 1935 to 1939. After Unification he served Aldersgate in New Orleans, 1940, and Pearl River, 1941-1942. From this charge he retired at the 1942 Conference. After his retirement he and his family made their home on the Sea Shore Camp Ground, Biloxi, Miss., until the time of his death.
During his retirement he served as Supply Pastor for one year at Chester, Miss., in the Miss. Conference. This was the last active work in the Church he had loved and served through forty-six years.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Jennie Thompson Van Valkenburg, a daughter, Miss Geneala Van Valkenburg, Jackson, Miss. Three sisters, Mrs. Ida Blackburn, West Springfield, Mass., Mrs. C. M. Taylor, Shreveport, La., and Mrs. A. R. Crebbin, Tunica, Miss.
Brother Van Valkenburg was interested in people, and during World War I he did work with the soldiers in Y.M.C.A. camps. On two occasions he traveled in England, Scotland, and Europe.
His voice is silent here, but his Spirit lives on in that “House Not made with hands eternal in the Heavens”
But just a passing through the gates to be
Eternally with Him, the Living Word,
Oh’ radiant thought to live with Thee
Our Saviour and our Lord.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 245-246, 1962 by A. D. George.|