Anders, Dan F.


- 1965
Writing Memoirs is sometimes, the assembling of facts about the life and work of a man. It is designed chiefly to get the record straight. Writing them for a friend takes on a different dimension. Such will be the purpose of this paper. Dan Anders was my friend.
When I began my Ministry in Opelousas, in 1928, I was working under the direction of the Pastor of our Church there. At the Conference of 1928, Brother Dan was sent to that Charge. I lived in the Anders home, and became a member of the family for a year. An image never to be blotted out of my mind is Dan standing beside my bed with his bathrobe and slippers ~n and holding a hot cup of coffee saying, “Jolly, it’s time to get up. Breakfast will be ready as soon as you are dressed.” This was before 6:00 A.M., because I had to catch a bus to School in Lafayette at 6:30 A.M.
Born into a Minister’s Home, he was to live his entire life in a parsonage. Even after retirement, he occupied a Retired Minister’s Home. This was right for he was completely dedicated to the Church. His father, a Minister — influenced him greatly, but a stronger influence was his Uncle, the well-known Evangelist Dan Kelly. He was named for this Uncle, and while having none of the characteristics of the great Evangelist, longed for something of this Ministry.
He married December 28, 1914, in Purvis, Mississippi. while a student in Centenary College. He and Lucy were to be married forty three years, and had three children, James, G. D., and Mary Lorene. These three find young adults rise up to call him “Blessed” after the years. The Anders Home was a place of joy and peace. There was no discord among the members of the family, and the children grew up to love the Church and to believe in the Christian life.
He served Churches throughout the Conference and left a host of friends wherever he went. Always interested in the Community beyond his congregation, he took part in sports, Scouts, and whatever else was of concern to the best people in the town.
He left a record to challenge the rest of the Conference in his active participation in the Camping Program of the Church. For thirty six years, he did not miss one Summer attending and working in a Youth Camp. In a day when most of us say after five or six years, “we have had our day, now let the younger men take over,” this is noteworthy.
In 1957, while they were serving The Claiborne Church in West Monroe, Lucy died in Oschner’s Clinic after an extended illness, and in 1959, he married again. Miss Fanny, as she was affectionately called by the children, took wonderful and loving care of him until the angels took him. He had retired at the Conference of 1962, and lived in Ruston in one of the lovely homes for Retired Ministers. He died as he lived, quietly and sweetly. May God bless him memory.
Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages218-219, 1965 by Jolly B. Harper.

Found an issue with this page? Click here to let us know.