August 9, 1988 - December 6, 1966
|Reverend Louis Hoffpauir was born in Indian Bayou, Louisiana on August 9, 1888. He was the son of Mr. E. B. Hoffpauir and Mrs. Olive Morgan Hoffpauir and was reared on a farm in the Indian Bayou Area.
After completing his elementary work, he attended Abbeville High School where he graduated. Due to his responsibilities on the farm, he was not able to attend College but was always very studious and enjoyed reading.
On January 16, 1907 he was married to Miss Alice Spell of the Lafayette area. From this union two sons and two daughters were born. Brother Hoffpauir is now survived by his wife and the four children: Herbert Hoff-pauir, Claude Hoffpauir, Mrs. George Hubbard and Mrs. H. S. Heaton. In addition there are ten grandchildren.
At the time of his marriage, Brother Hoffpauir was not a member of any Church. He was later converted and united with the Methodist Church. He had a very vital religious experience and became active immediately. His first work was with young people. He then assumed the responsibility for conducting prayer services for the adults in his local church and assisted his minister in many other ways.
He soon revealed that he had a definite call to the ministry. This call was so clear that he could not ignore it. He had faith that he could prepare himself with the help of his Lord and many friends. His Bishop and several ministers with whom he was acquainted loaned him books and gave him a recommended reading list, which he immediately began to study intensively. He took work by correspondence and was soon showing real progress in his development as a minister. He was to become one of the most effective members of the Louisiana Annual Conference.
Brother Louis Hoffpauir was deeply loved by the congregations, which he served, as well as by his fellow-ministers. He was a kindly and considerate man. He had the personal magnetism which drew people to him and gave them confidence in him and faith in The Lord Jesus Christ. Louis was an unassuming person, but one who generated deep loyalties in people. He was a friend of the executive, the white-collar worker and the laboring man. This gave him a rare understanding and insight into the interests and needs of people and an ability to communicate with them. This enabled him to interpret God to them in a way that made Him real and personal.
Brother Hoffpauir loved the out-of-doors, and his avocation was that of raising rice and live stock. This proved to be a source of great interest and joy to him in the closing years of his life. Nothing pleased him more than to be able to take his friends out to his farm near Sulphur.
He retired in the year 1960 from the First Methodist Church in Crowley, where he had served for seven years. He had thus completed approximately 50 years in the active ministry. During these years he served the following Churches and Districts: 1910-1912 Bell City, Hayes and West Lake; 1912-19 15 Bayou Chicot, Yule Platte, White Castle and Garland; 1915-1922 Henning Memorial, Sulphur, and Vinton; 1922-1925 Coushatta; 1925-1930 First Church, Lafayette; 1930-1933 First Church, West Monroe; 1934 Homer; 1934-1938 Ruston District; 1938-1944 First Church, Haynesville; 1944-1950 Ruston District; 1950-1953 New Iberia; 1953-1960 First Church, Crowley.
After leaving Crowley, Brother and Mrs. Hoffpauir retired to their home in Sulphur. However, he was not to retire from the ministry. He served as interim Pastor of the St. Luke Church in Lake Charles for some nine months during 1961-1962. Through his help and leadership, the Wesley Church was organized in North Sulphur early in 1963. On April 14 of that year Charter Membership was observed with 107 people uniting with the Church. This was a very happy occasion for both Brother and Mrs. Hoffpauir. This included 27 people on profession of Faith, 16 from other denominations and 64 from other Methodist Churches.
Brother Hoffpauir continued to serve the Wesley Church for about one and one-half years until his health began to fail. He gradually grew weaker over the months but maintained his fine spirit and deep faith. He passed on to his eternal reward on December 16, 1966. Interment was in the Mimosa Pines Garden of Memories just south of Sulphur.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 228-229, 1967 by R. Leonard Cooke.|