|Born February 3, 1917, in Emerson, Arkansas, was Alvis Elmer Wingfield, whose name later was changed to Aubrey Elmer Wingfield. He was converted to Christianity and called to the ministry at the age of 10. He later drifted away from the Lord and had to be dealt with rather severely (his own testimony) in order to get him back into the Lord’s will.. He finally surrendered to the call to preach in July, 1940, and was assigned to his first pastorate. He served Columbia-Fountain Hill in south Arkansas before transferring to Louisiana in November, 1947. His appointments included Heflin-Brushwood; Eros-Frantom Chapel-Antioch; Robeline-Marthaville-Beulah; Wesley Chapel-Lee’s Landing; Hollins Chapel-Bentley; Kilbourne-Godwill-Locust Grove; Loranger-Cooper’s Chapel; Epps-Floyd; Bonita-Hughes Chapel; and Waterproof-Clayton. On July 22, 1971, at the age of 54, he was called home to be with the Lord, after a long and faithful ministry. He is buried in Ware’s Chapel Cemetery, near Magnolia, Ar-kansas, along with others of his family.
In addition to his wife, Mary, Brother Wingfield is survived by five children: James Elmer, Oak Grove; Mrs. Virginia Catherine Harwell (Mrs. Tom), Ashdown, Arkansas; Mrs. Ruth Harris; Clifton Ray, Monroe, La.; and Harold Gene, of the home, Rt. 5, Box 135, Magnolia, Arkansas. .
|Source: Journal Louisiana Conference, 1972; p. 143 By Mrs. Mary Wingfield|