November 12, 1904 - June 21, 1977
|“Soft as the voice of an angel” was the call of death to Reverend George W. Harper, on Tuesday, June 21, 1977, at 7 o’clock P.M., at the Southern Baptist Hospital, New Orleans, Louisiana.
George W. Harper was the son of the late Reverend and Mrs. Samuel Harper. He was born on November 12, 1904 in Marigold, Mississippi. He attended Philander Smith College, the University of Nebraska and Gammon Theological Seminary. He entered the ministry on November 30, 1930.
He married the lovely Miss Lois Watson. To this union four children were born: Samuel, George, Joseph and Ruby.
Before coming to the Louisiana Conference, George W. Harper pastured in Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma. He was a member of the Oklahoma Conference, Missouri East and West Conferences, Central West Conference and South West Conference. He came to the Louisiana Conference three years ago and pastured the Thirkield and Harry Chapel United Methodist Churches, Bogalusa, Louisiana. While in Bogalusa, he worked with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Ministerial Alliance, and the Bogalusa Voters League.
He served on boards at the conference level and attended many national meetings, General Conferences, and Jurisdictional Conferences. Last year, he attended the General Conference and Jurisdictional Conference in Lincoln, Nebraska. He also attended the World Conference in London, England.
George W. Harper retired from the active ministry of June 12, 1977. On June 21, 1977, he went to join his beloved master and friends who had gone before. The world is surely better for his dedicated life and services.
He leaves to mourn: his devoted wife, Mrs. Lois W. Harper; three sons—Samuel, George, and Joseph Harper; and one daughter, Mrs. Ruby H. Davis; one sister, Mrs. Ruby Meadows; ten grandchildren; two foster children—Patricia and Rick Rowe.
“I think that God is proud when we bear our sorrows bravely.”
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the United Methodist Church, 1978; p. 171 By Louis L. Streams|