October 31, 1894 - July 18, 1977
|William Howard Giles was a man of tall stature. In later years he was considerably stooped as if he carried a great weight on his shoulders. The weight he carried was a concern for people and for the church he loved and served so well.
William Howard Giles was born in Primrose, Georgia, October 31, 1894; he died in Luthersville, Georgia, July 18, 1977. He was married to Mammie Williams and they served as a team in the Methodist ministry until her death in 1969.
Brother Giles was admitted “on trial” into the Louisiana Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1918 and into full connection in 1920. He served faithfully wherever he was appointed until his retirement in 1962, giving him 44 years of active service to his Lord and his Church. After retirement he lived in Luthersville, Georgia, until his death. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Carl A. Nichols of Moss Point, Mississippi, two grandchildren and one great grandson.
In these brief words the historical data of a life is given. But who can tell of the souls won, the sorrowing comforted, the sick visited or the confused ones who were guided aright in those 44 years of consecrated service.
Howard Giles was a good and true minister and a faithful pastor. I followed him as superintendent of the Monroe District, and soon found out that he was loved and respected by people all over the district. It is significant that when he completed his six years on the district he returned to a former pastorate, Slidell, to serve again a people whom he loved so dearly and who loved him in return.
Brother Giles was not one to make a lot of noise, but when he spoke, it was with conviction and his words carried weight. He has entered into his eternal reward and we can truly say in the words of a John Ellerton poem:
“Now the laborer’s task is o’er
Now the battle day is past
Now upon the farther shore
Lands the voyager at last.
Father, in Thy gracious keeping
Leave we now Thy servant sleeping.”
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the United Methodist Church, 1978; p. 170 By James T. Harris|