|Mrs. Mary Harris Davidson departed this life, June 25, 1980, witnessed by all her children. Mrs. Davidson was one of God’s torches in the world that was extinguished and yet reflected brilliance of that torch will light the path of many for years to come.
Mrs. Davidson was one of seven children born to the union of the late William H. and Mary Smith Harris on January 22, 1897 in Bayou Goula, Louisiana. She was educated in the public schools of Bayou Goula.
On June 20, 1917, she married the Rev, David Louis Davidson, and from this union they were blessed with five children. Mrs. Davidson accepted Christ under the pastorship of her late husband and was baptized.
The Davidson’s served congregation in the former Louisiana Conference of the Central Jurisdiction, referred to as Louisiana Conference B, for a period of thirty-six years. During these years, Mrs. Davidson was very devoted to her husband and his work. She was a loving devoted, sacrificing, hard-working Christian wife.
Immediately following the death of her husband on May 21, 1956, she became a member of Hartzell United Methodist Church under the pastorship of the Rev. Nathaniel P. Williams. She was a very active member of Hartzell, having served as President of the Communion Stewards and the United Methodist Women. At the time of her death, Mrs. Davidson was an active member of the Communion Stewards under the pastorship of her son, Rev. James S. Davidson who delivered the Eulogy.
She leaves to cherish her memory: one brother, William H. Harris, Jr., three sons, the Rev. James S. Davidson, David Louis Davidson, Jr. of Seattle, Washington, William Roscoe Davidson of Los Angeles, California, two daughters, Mrs. Alma D. Ford of Detroit, sixteen great-grand children. A host of other relatives and friends. Interment: St. Paul Cemetery, Bayou Goula, Louisiana.
|Source: Journal Louisiana Conference, 1981, p. 182 By James D. Davidson|