|Charles Henry Hayes, son of Peter and Luizianne Hayes, was born May 25, 1902. As he grew into teenhood he developed an urge to eventually become a minister. Later he became a local preacher in his home church. He followed this desire and in 1930 at the Annual Conference in Natchitoches, presided over by Bishop Keeny, he was ordained a Deacon. In 1933 after completing courses of study, at the Annual Conference at Morgan City, presided by Bishop R. E. Jones, he was ordained an Elder.
He married Luella Williams and to this union there were seven children, four of whom are still living (Mrs. Leatha Ann Green, Mrs. Ona Mae Smith, Jessie J. Hayes, and Haldin Hayes) along with twenty-four grandchildren and eighteen great-grandchildren.
Charles served well at all of his churches and was able to build new churches and parsonages at Bonita and Shaw along with his other accomplishments. On May 31, 1974 he retired with 43.5 years of service.
On June 1, 1981 he was called by God from labor to rest. His funeral service was conducted at LaHarpe Church in New Orleans, Louisiana where at this time he was serving LaHarp-Thompson Charge.
|Source: Journal Louisiana Conference, 1982; p. 158 By Carl T. Wethers|