|To most pastors, Reverend. Henry Stewart, Jr. was known as ‘‘Teddy,’’ a sign of the trust and love we held for him. Teddy was born May 29, 1909, in Kenner, Louisiana, the son of Henry and Emma Stewart. His early education was in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; later he received degrees from Tuskegee Institute in Alabama and Xavier University in New Orleans. In 1933, he married Florence Perkins and from this union came six children: Irma, Henry III, Harold, Harriett, Equilla, and Hiram.
Teddy’s professional life was in the field of education. For many years he taught in the public schools of Jefferson and Orleans Parishes and was a principal and supervisor in the Jefferson Parish School System. His pastoral life began in the early 1960s when he served the following churches: Boynton, Brooks, Kenner-Ross, and St. Philip’s United Methodist Church. Teddy’s areas of service were not limited to school and church. He was the first black City Councilman in Kenner, Louisiana, a charter member of the NAACP, served on Zoning Boards, Bicentennial Commission, Council on Aging and helped develop 25—30 acres of real estate, believing ‘‘every man should be a home owner.’’ He also served in these areas New Orleans Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation, New Orleans Association for Mentally Retarded, Kenner Housing Authority, Jefferson Parish Doll and Toy Fund, Louisiana Retired Teachers Association, Association of Retired People and the Board of Directors of Majestic Mortuary Service. Teddy was instrumental in organizing the Kenner White Sox Baseball Club, Kenner Community Band, and community playgrounds.
After 75 years of service to God and Man, ‘‘Brother Teddy’’ laid down his burden and went to be with his Lord. This place was made better by his traveling with us.
|Source: Journal Louisiana Conference, 1985; p. 257 By William C. Blakely|