Date Founded: 1850
The church started in 1850 when forty acres were donated by four families interested in the religious and educational life of the community. A log structure was built to serve as a school and church. Blacks and whites built the church and worshipped there. First called the Butler School House, it was later called the Methodist Society of Butler School House. It burned down around 1860 and a larger building was constructed.
A third, even larger church was built in 1878. It was dedicated by the name of Pine Grove Methodist Episcopal Church, South in September of that year. Though the school closed in 1927, the church continued to grow.
A red brick fellowship hall was built next to the church in 1961. The old church was replaced by the current sanctuary in 1976. A new sanctuary was built using much of the lumber from the 1850 building. The dedication of the new church was on June 10, 1978.