Date Founded: 1838
Methodism in the area began with circuit riders in the early 1800s. It was firmly established by 1832, and the first church was built at Oakley in 1838. It was used as a school for a while during the Civil War. At the end of the war, it was used as a mustering out place for the Tensas Calvary.
At the end of the 19th century, a railroad was built through nearby Gilbert. The congregation decided to move and built a frame church there in 1900. A larger two-story brick structure was built in 1923 to accommodate the growing congregation. Since it was large and had a Hammond Spinet organ, other denominations used the church for special events.
Although the church had 158 members in 1943, its numbers have decreased over the years due to lack of work in the area. The church building was showing its years and was taken down in 1964-65. It was replaced with a smaller building.