Date Founded: 1888
On March 16, 1888, Col. Alexander M. Haas and Capt. Samuel Haas sold land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South for $50. The church was organized on April 1, 1888. Their first pastor, Rev. S.H. Whatley, had been appointed that January. The first church was built that same year.
An education building was constructed in 1941 under the leadership of Rev. R.M. Bentley. Most of the labor used in its construction was volunteered. While Dr. W.L. Doss served as pastor, the old church was torn down and a new one built.
Funds for building the new sanctuary in 1951-52 came from Col. and Mrs. W.D. Haas, Jr. in memory of their son who had been killed in a plane accident. The church was renamed the William David Haas III Memorial Methodist Church. It has a pipe organ and stained glass windows. The windows depict various symbols from Christ’s life. The parsonage was built at the same time (1952).
In 1957, Rev. J.J. Caraway was pastor when the church bought land at the side of the parsonage. Funds to buy the land came from the sale of a home next to the church (that was deeded to the church by Misses Sally and Mayme Audebert) and money willed to the church by Col. Franklin T. Mikell.
In 1958, an educational wing was constructed. The parsonage was remodeled to add a large family room. Rev. Don Hall was pastor when the parsonage was dedicated in 1971 to the memory of Col. and Mrs. Franklin T. Mikell. The parsonage was expanded in 1984.