Date Founded: 1887
In 1887, a piece of R.R. Barrow's Batey Plantation was purchased and a small church was built. The area, then known as Bateville, is now called Gray. The first appointment to the church occurred in 1890, when H.J. Wright (of the Methodist Episcopal Church, North) was appointed to serve Schriever and "Beattieville." The congregation was formally organized as the Mt. Vernon Methodist Church and was incorporated in 1906.
The original church stood until 1909, when it was destroyed by a storm. A new church was built the following year by Dave Brown under the leadership of Rev. J.B. Wilson. In 1924, disaster struck again when another storm destroyed the 1910 church. Once again, a new church was constructed by Dave Brown. In recent times, the church has been remodeled and the exterior has been bricked.
Source: History of Mt. Vernon U.M.C.; Methodism Along the Bayou, by Timothy Hebert