Board of Ordained Ministry
The Louisiana Conference Board of Ordained Ministry (CBOM) is responsible for supporting persons who respond to God's call to professional ministry as an elder in full connection, deacon in full connection, licensed local pastor, diaconal minister, or certified lay professional in Christian education, music, youth, evangelism, camping/retreat ministries, spiritual formation, and older adult ministry.
The Board, working with District Committees on Ordained Ministry, reviews the educational and personal qualifications of candidates, including personal interviews, through each step of the candidacy process, from certified candidacy to ordination or licensing. The Board then makes a recommendation to the Clergy Session and also reviews and makes recommendations on all changes in Conference Relationship, whether voluntary or involuntary. The Board works collaboratively with the Cabinet in a number of areas to assist in advancing the vision and ministry of the Louisiana Conference
The Conference Board of Ordained Ministry offers support to candidates for ministry and clergy in the following ways:
- Provides service loans, funded through the Ministerial Education Fund for certified candidates who are in seminary.
- Awards Scholarships to seminary degree-seeking students, based on merit and need.
- Supports clergy, diaconal ministers, and certified professionals who are fulfilling the requirement of 1 CEU per year, or at least 8 CEU's per quadrennium.
- Offers a Care and Nurturing Program, which provides confidential financial assistance for counseling for clergy and their families.
- Offers opportunities for covenant relationships, mutual accountability, and continuing spiritual formation through the Order of Deacons and the Order of Elders.
- Provides support, love, and encouragement to local pastors, and serves as a voice for local pastors and associate members in the Louisiana Conference through the Fellowship of Local Pastors and Associate Members, which includes all local pastors and associate members.
- Establishes lifelong patterns that will create effective clergy leaders for the church through the Probationary Process, which is a system of continued growth and learning for probationers in the Louisiana Conference. This process has three dimensions: coaching/mentoring in a covenant group, participating in the Center for Pastoral Effectiveness - Soul Journey, and supervision. It is required for all probationers.
- Visits major seminaries attended by candidates in the Louisiana Conference.
- Enlists candidates for ordained and licensed ministry, including sponsoring a “Discerning the Call” event each year for 17 to 25-year olds to consider God's call to ordained or licensed ministry.
- Offers Professional Certification in Christian education, youth ministry, older adult ministry, spiritual formation, music, evangelism, older adult ministry and camping/retreat ministries.
- Offers Licensing School for Local Pastors annually in January to April.
- Reviews the recommendation of all requests for Transfers to the Louisiana Conference.
- Provides training and support for District Committees on Ordained Ministry.
- Provides training and support for candidacy mentors (they must attend a new training event every four years to remain active in candidacy mentoring.)
- Works with candidates preparing for interviews with the Division of Elders and the Division of Deacons and Diaconal Ministers in the Fall and Spring.
- Works with Local Pastors who are preparing for interviews with the Division of Local Pastors and Associate Members in the Spring.
- Relates to all clergy on location, various leaves of absence (personal, family, sabbatical), incapacity leave, and transitional leave.
- Relates to all retired clergy.
- Relates to all clergy in Extension Ministries and those serving in an agency or setting beyond the Local Church.
www.la-umc.org/console/files/oForms_YJ7JB6/Louisiana_Students_in_Seminary_RVMHD52M.pdfLouisiana Students in Seminary
We have over 30 students from Louisiana currently
attending seminary. Please pray for these persons
as they are transformed by God’s Holy Spirit through
their seminary classes and experiences
For more information, please contact:
Rev. Gary Willis
Chair, Conference Board of Ordained Ministry
| Rev. John Edd Harper
Coordinator, Conference Board of Ordained Ministry
527 North Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Office: 225-346-1646 ext 230
Toll free: 888-239-5286 ext 230