Davis, John Stone

3/27/1885

JOHN STONE DAVIS
1815-1885
 

John Stone Davis, the son of John and Mill Davis, was born in Giles County, Tenn., March 27, 1815. He was converted at a camp meeting at Cornersville, Tenn., August 24, 1829; joined the Church September 8, 1829, under the ministry of the Rev. Dr. Gilbert Taylor; was married to Miss Mary Ann White, the daughter of Benjamin R. and Eliza M. White, in Franklin, Tenn., February 28, 1841; was admitted on trial in the Tennessee Conference in the fall of 1836 and into full connection in 1838; was ordained deacon in 1839 and elder in 1840 by Bishop Andrew. He served the Red River, Fountain Head, Randolph and Harmony Circuits, Spring Hill Station, Limestone and Red River Circuits, when he located for one year; was re-admitted and traveled the Carthage Circuit, when his health failing he located and so remained till 1860, when he was re-admitted into the Louisiana Conference. He traveled the Que de Tortue Circuit five years on account of the war. In 1867 he was appointed to Plaquemine Brulee; in 1868 he took a supernumerary relation, but was afterward appointed by the presiding elder to Evergreen and Big Cane; was re-appointed by the bishop to the same work in 1869, and was sent in 1870 to Columbia Circuit. In 1871 he was a supernumerary, and his health continuing bad a superannuated relation was granted him in 1872 and renewed from year to year till the present.
He died on his 70th birthday at the house of Mrs. Maggie Hays in Opelousas, La., in triumph and peace. His last word was to his brother-in-law, Rev. T. B. White, in answer to the question, are you still trusting in Jesus. And while far down in the valley, and just as life’s tide was ebbing out he whispered back: “O, yes,” and was gone in a moment. He had a long and protracted illness. He murmured not nor complained, but was cheerful and resigned through it all. No doubt of his having joined the blood-washed throng.
Source: Journal Louisiana Conference Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1885