Davis, Mrs. Robert A.

2/17/1918

MRS. ROBERT A. DAVIS
Oct. 13, 1850 - Feb. 17, 1918
 
Sister Davis; wife of the Rev. Robt. A. Davis died at the home of her son, Mr. R. B. Davis, in Park Place, Houston, Texas, on the 17th of February, 1918. She was however a native of Louisiana, being born on the 13th of October, 1850, in East Feliciana Parish, near Bayou Sara, and was the daughter of M. P. and M. A. Day.
A large part of her girlhood and youth was spent in the vicinity of Columbia, La., and it was while living here that she met the Rev. Robt. A. Davis, a traveling minister in the Louisiana Conference: They were married January 1st, 1871, and nine children were born to them, five of whom are living, viz., Augusta, wife of Dr. R. S. Crichlow, of the faculty of the Medical Department of the Tulane University; Miss Mary Davis, of Houston, Texas; Emma, wife of B. C. Andrews of Gainesville, Texas; Robert B. Davis, of Park Place, Houston, Texas, and Miss Dalton Davis, of Houston,
Sister Davis was a faithful wife, a good mother and entered into the itinerant life with a devotion to the cause of the Master only equaled by that of her husband. For forty years she presided at the head of a parsonage table and wrought in church life, aiding her husband in every way that a faithful wife could and much of his success in the ministry was due largely, if not entirely to her management and prayerful assistance.
Having been the guest of the parsonage for a week or more at a time, I had full opportunity to observe and learn this good woman and can say in all truthfulness that she was a true woman, a simple servant of the Master, trying to live and exemplify His teachings. She was a mother in the real sense of the word, for she made her house, a home for husband and children and endeavored to rear her family in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
She passed away in a good old age, at sixty-eight, leaving a good name, a life well spent in His service and with all calling her blessed.
Source: Journal Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1918, page 57, by. Jno. F. Foster