May, Sallie Hamilton (Mrs. H.W.)

9/16/1935

SALLIE HAMILTON (Mrs. H.W.) MAY
March 4, 1860 - September 16, 1935
 
Mrs. H. W. May, nee Sallie Hamilton, was born in Jackson Parish, La., on March 4, 1860, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Hamilton, who were natives of Alabama. When she was twelve years of age her parents returned to Alabama, and in 1879, near Prattville, Alabama, she was married to Harry W. May. Her husband joined the Louisiana Conference in 1888 and they served the Conference together for 41 years. Some of the appointments were Alexandria, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette Districts. They were eight years in the district parsonage, and the rest of the time was spent in serving circuits and stations throughout the Conference. The last charge was Zachary, 1927, where her husband was serving when he was superannuated. With their savings through the years they were able to purchase a comfortable home in Zachary, where they lived together until the death of Brother May, and where Mrs. May continued to reside until her death on September 16, 1935. Of the seven children: E. A. May, New Roads, La., died just a few months be-fore his mother; H. W. May, Jr., Waterproof, La., died some years ago, and the remaining ones are Mrs. W. W. Hawsey, Ethel, La.; Mrs. K. C. Cameron, Indianapolis; Mrs. C. D. Cuny, San Francisco; Alvin H. May, Little Rock, Ark., and Claude H. May, Monroe, La. Sister May was a faithful member of our church at Zachary and had rendered valuable help In a revival meeting conducted shortly before her death. While her going away was sudden, Sister May was evidently prepared, because she had allotted all her personal effects t0 her children several weeks before her death. She was a devoted wife and a self-sacrificing mother. The funeral was conducted from Zachary church by her pastor, assisted by K. W. Dodson, F. J. McCoy, W. W. Perry, J. A. Alford, and J. B. Shearer. Her body rests beside that of Brother May in Plains cemetery, East Baton Rouge Parish.
Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Pages 91, 1935, by J. Cude Rousseaux