- January 27, 1951
|Mrs. George S. Sexton, Sr., lovingly known to her countless friends and loved ones as “Miss Dumps,” went home on January 27, 1951. She left all of us—her children, friends, community and the entire Methodist Conference—lonely because of her physical absence, but happy and comforted because of that glorious reunion over there.
Her actual imprint upon people and events expresses Mrs. Sexton’s Christian personality in a way words cannot do. It is difficult to catch her flaming and beautiful spirit in the framework of language, but one friend put it this way: “The combination of her radiant personality, strength of character, alert mind, sustained interest and keen understanding was rare indeed; not often present in one small body.”
Mrs. Sexton was born in Jefferson, Texas, the daughter of the late Samuel F. Moseley and Eliza Ann Wilkerson. She was married to the late Dr. George S. Sexton, who with her help became one of Methodist’s out-standing leaders. He was pastor of The First Methodist Church, Shreveport, from 1913-17 and 1919-21 and president of Centenary College for twelve years. They had one son, George S. Sexton, Jr. After her husband’s death in 1937 she made her home with her son and his wife at 110 Sexton Road, Shreveport.
As a pastor’s wife and world citizen, Mrs. Sexton was active in cultural, civic and Church circles in many towns and cities and always made outstand-ing personal contributions to contemporary life wherever she was.
We want to pay tribute to her as a citizen of Shreveport where she spent so many fruitful years. She was a charter member and organizer of the Woman’s Department Club and other cultural-service groups, helping to secure a greatly needed juvenile court. She organized and taught the Business Women’s Bible Class of The First Methodist Church, and was a charter member of the Woman’s Society of Christian Service. She was one of the organizers of the City Mission Board which opened the original Business Girls’ Inn in 1928.
Centenary College considered her an integral part of itself, for she loved students and faculty and served them well. She was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and an honorary sweetheart of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.
Even in her last years as a semi-invalid her influence and prayers helped all of us in a special way. We knew the Church was constantly in her prayers and thoughts.
We felt this inspiration over and over and considered it a basic part of the under girding that devout Church members can give to their pastor. May we conclude with a few sentences from some of the “in memoriam” written about this great and beloved Christian woman.
From the City Mission Board:
“Her life is a fragrant memory, a record of noble purpose and fine achievements.
We shall be more understanding workers to-gether for Him, more loyal friends and better
Christians because of the imprint of her life and character.”
From the Faculty of Centenary College:
“The close association of the life of Mrs. Sexton with the history and progress of
Centenary College has produced an enduring re-lationship which will stand in the years to
come as a tribute of her influence and personality.”
And, this was passed unanimously by The Official Board of her Church:
“If it were not for the part that good women play in our homes, schools, Churches
and state, life would indeed be a dreary and un-profitable existence.
“The Master himself, immortalized one of His servants, when he said of her, “she hath done what she could.” This might well be said of one recently taken from our midst, Mrs. George S. Sexton, Sr., who passed away on January 27, 1951.”
For many years she was active in all the life of this Church, equally revered and loved with her husband, that gallant soldier of the Cross, Dr. George S. Sexton.
In later years the infirmities of the flesh limited her physical activities but nothing could impair the brilliance of her mind, or quench her indomitable spirit; or cloud her faith in Almighty God.
A visit to her home was like a visit to a shrine of love and inspiration, and we gratefully
pay her this tribute of love and respect.”
|Source: Annual of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 181-182, 1951 by. Guy M. Hicks.|