White, George P.

6/28/1953

GEORGE P. WHITE
September 18, 1867 - June 28, 1953
 
Rev. George P. White was born September 18, 1867 near Woodville, Mississippi Died in Hammond, Louisiana, June 28, 1953.
His parents were devoted Christians. They belonged to and worshipped at the Methodist Church near Woodville, Mississippi.
From his family came two Methodist preachers, the late Rev. M. L. White, of the Mississippi Conference and Rev. George P. White, of the Louisiana Conference.
Rev. Geo. White united with the Methodist Church when a boy, but he testified that he did not have the blessed assurance of his salvation from sin until later in the revival service.
He was licensed to preach when a young man and served as a Local Preacher for many years. In 1909 he was admitted to the Louisiana Methodist Conference and given New Roads as an appointment. While serving the New Road appointment he became well acquainted with that area between the Mississippi river and the Atchafalaya river where Protestants are few and scattered. His experience with this missionary area caused the Louisiana Conference to continue him in this field largely through his active ministry.
Bro. White was married to Miss Flora Hyde of Tangipahoa Parish, April 10, 1894, who preceded him in death. June 19, 1944. To them were born eight children; five of whom survive them —Tom White of Baton Rouge, Sam A. White, Dr. E. E. White, Mrs. V. E. Pregeant all of Hammond and Mrs. T. R. Pregeant of Donaldsonville, Louisiana.
At the Conference in 1925, Bro. White, being in poor health, retired and moved to Hammond. Later his health improved permitting him to work on a farm, but the work soon proved to be too heavy for him. He left the farm and began to live with his children. Fortunately there is a large Men’s Bible Class at the Hammond Methodist Church and Bro. White became a member af this class. The men of the class learned to love him and during his last years he was the beloved old preacher among the men of the class.
Rev. White was gifted in several ways.
He knew how to make friends and to hold them after he made them. As a conversationalist, he was an “Autocrat of the Breakfast-table.”
He was a man of a clear, logical mind. He was slow to speak, but when he spoke his words showed clearness of thought and wisdom.
He was a man of wit and the members of his class thought of him as the witty old preacher.
His funeral was conducted by his pastor, Rev. Fred S. Flurry, assisted by Rev. R. S. Walton, Rev. T. D. Lipscomb and Rev. C. L. Stayton of the Presbyterian Church and Rev. Edward Harris, Baton Rouge District Superintendent.
His body now rests beside his devoted wife in the Magnolia Cemetery, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 168-169, 1954 by R. S. Walton.