June 22, 1873 - July 4, 1953
|James Edwin Selfe was born June 22, 1873, at Jackson, Michigan. He was reared in Michigan and educated in Jackson Primary and High schools. He attended Ferris Institute at Big Rapids, where he completed a Business education. After graduating from Ferris institute he taught at Bushnell Business College, Bushnell, Ohio. He then entered Y. M. C. A. work, serving as General Secretary of the Y. M. C. A. at Jackson, Michigan. On September 19, 1900, he was married to Miss Carrie Jewell of Jackson, Michigan. To this union was born one son, Edwin Maurice. Brother Self e transferred from Jackson, Michigan to New Orleans as Membership Secretary of the Y. M. C. A. In 1905 he left Y. M. C. A. work to enter the the building Industry, and became a practicing architect.
He entered the Methodist Ministry in New Orleans in 1918, and remained in that ministry until his retirement in 1944.
He served the following appointments: First Methodist Church, Covington, Louisiana; Epworth Church, New Orleans, Louisiana; First Methodist Church, Hammond, Louisiana; Mangum Memorial Methodist Church, Shreveport, Louisiana; Lake Providence, Louisiana; Spring Hill, Louisiana; New Iberia, Louisiana; Many Louisiana, Opelousas, Louisiana; Greenwood, Louisiana; Rayne, Louisiana; Gretna, Louisiana; Gibsland, Louisiana; Elizabeth, Louisiana; Trout, Louisiana; Boyce, Louisiana, where he retired In 1944.
Since his retirement he has lived in Shreveport. He was a member of Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19, Free and Accepted Masons, of Opelousas, Louisiana.
James E. Selfe was a fine Christian. He was a fine neighbor. He was an unselfish and devoted husband. His life was home centered. He would sit by the hour and read to Mrs. Self e in the later years, when her eyes were not good. He believed in giving God his best. He hated evil of every kind, especially the curse of the liquor traffic.
The funeral of Brother Selfe was held at Mangum Memorial Church on June 4th, 1953 at 4:00 p.m.
|Source: Journal of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, Pages 166-167, 1954 by A. W. Townsend, Jr.|