Corry, George Henry

1/19/1985

October 8, 1898 - January 1985
 
George Henry Corry, known to his family and many friends as ‘‘Henry’’ was a genuine, old-time circuit-riding preacher. He rode the highways and byways of his day baptizing babies, performing marriages, presiding at funerals, and above all preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ with every of strength at his command, and with a strength of conviction which transcends any mortal attempt to describe.
When he was a teen-ager his family knew that Henry had something important on his mind, for a great deal of the time he was very quiet and seemed to be in deep study. They discovered that he felt the call to the ministry and wanted to go to Centenary College to prepare himself for his calling, but it seemed like an impossible dream. Because of the financial conditions of the time, he was hesitant to tell his family about his dream lest it worry them. After graduation from high school, he rode his horse into Shreveport and sold it so that he could pay the enrollment fees to enter college. He was able to get small jobs to pay his way. During the last years there, he served a little church between Shreveport and Mansfield.
Henry was born on October 8, 1898, in Claiborne Parish in the Arizona community. He was the fourth of five children born to James and Puella Corry. Only one sister survives, Velma Corry Olive of Dangerfield, Texas. He was also survived by his wife of 59 years (former Gertrude Moore); and by two sons, Glynn of Ruston, and Coleman of Union Grove, Alabama, as well as several grandchildren.
Reverend Corry attended Arizona, La., Academy and graduated from Centenary College in 1924. He attended Southern Methodist University in 1930-31, and began his career in Joyce, Louisiana. It is here that he met his wife, who was postmistress and cashier of the Tremont Lumber Company commissary store. In addition to his ministerial duties, he served as a teacher in the high school and as a Boy Scoutmaster. Most of the homes in Joyce, which were owned by the Tremont Lumber Company, were made out of boxcars. The Corrys moved into one of these boxcar homes, where Henry had a garden that was the showpiece of the community. He had beautiful gardens most of his life.
Among the churches served by the Corrys were Denham Springs, Pearl River, Indian Bayou, Hornbeck, Baker, Eunice, Pelican, Verda, Rochelle, Oak Ridge, Choudrant, Clay, Ville Platte, Gonzales, Port Allen, and Zachary. After his retirement the Corrys lived in Homer, Shreveport, then Decatur, Alabama, and finally back to Ruston, Louisiana. His funeral service was held in the Kilpatrick Funeral Home in Ruston on January 30,1985, with Reverend Chris Andrews and Reverend Rolly Walker officiating and Reverend James McLelland playing the organ.
Source: Journal Louisiana Conference, 1985; p. 245 By Merlin Merrill