The Louisiana Conference Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns recently announced the recipients of the conference-sponsored 2013 Interfaith Award.
Each receiving a $200 grant, United Methodist churches and one interfaith organization were recognized for their respective efforts in fostering cooperation among various churches, denominations, ministries and faith communities throughout our state. They include:
- Aurora UMC, Algiers for “Stop Hunger Now” event held Oct. 13, 2013. Nearly 200 volunteers from local churches, service organizations and the military packed 50,976 meals, completing the project in nearly two hours
- CommUnity Hands of Livingston Parish (an interfaith, nonprofit organization) in its response to the emergency needs of families living in Livingston Parish
- Parker Memorial UMC, New Orleans in its support of the School for Contemplative Living
- Broadmoor UMC, Baton Rouge for its joint ministry with non-denominational Healing Place Church for the “No Place to Go” program
Each receiving a $125 grant, two churches were recognized for their efforts. They are:
- Luling UMC for organizing joint worship services with First Presbyterian Church of Luling
- First UMC, Plain Dealing for joint ministry with Lewisville CME Church
Please note that volunteers from Asbury UMC worked with Aurora UMC in the "Stop Hungry Now" event.