Date Founded: 1894
The church was founded on April 24, 1894. Services were first held at the Masonic Lodge building (located across the street from the current church). Land for a church building was purchased from Luther and L.M. Page for $15 on October 24, 1901. The first pastor was Rev. T.J. Martin. A picture of the new church appeared on the cover of the 1903 Louisiana Annual Conference Journal.
On April 1, 1907, D.W. Stewart sold the church a piece of land for $100. The first parsonage was built on that site along Hwy. 154.
The early 1930s saw renovations to the church. Nine classrooms were built onto the church: three on the north side, three on the east side, and three on the south side of the church. For years, the church bell hung on a scaffold on the back of the church. The original handmade pews were replaced with heavy oak pews purchased from another church. A kitchen was built at the southeast corner.
The parsonage was sold for $5,000 on November 19, 1950. A new lot (#88) was purchased and a new home was completed by 1951. The consecration service ws on April 1, 1951, and the dedication service was held on December 8, 1957.
The church was torn down and rebuilt in 1958 under the leadership of Rev. Roy Grant. Services were held in the school auditorium during construction. The new red brick church included classrooms and a kitchen. Though it was named the Ringgold Memorial Methodist Church at that time, the “memorial” part has never been used.
The church acquired additional property next to the church in 1980. That same year, the membership decided to change the church’s name from Ringgold United Methodist Church to the
First United Methodist Church of Ringgold on October 25. Stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ were installed in May 1983. A fellowship hall was built in 1984. A Day Care Center was established in 1987.
The church takes pride in its mission service … locally (through efforts such as “Cooking for Others,” a food bank, and an Angel Tree) and beyond (VIM trips to Oklahoma).