Date Founded: 1954
The church was organized on January 10, 1954. Alton O. Hancock, a student at Centenary, was assigned as a student pastor. The new church met at the YWCA Camp Margaret. Thirty-eight charter members and three associate members were received. Property was soon purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Walter Richmond Jacobs at the corner of East Pecan Street and Ellerbe Church Road. Rev. Webb D. Pomeroy was appointed pastor of the church in June 1954. Groundbreaking for the church was held on July 11, 1954. With members pitching in for labor, the church was ready for occupancy on January 2, 1955. Additional interior work was completed over the next few months. The debt on the church was paid off by 1960 and a dedication service held on September 25, 1960.
Dr. Pomeroy continued to serve until 1964. During his pastorate, a wing (including a kitchen, fellowship hall, and a classroom) was added to the facilities.
In 1970, under the leadership of Rev. Fredrick A. Mead, the morning service time changed from 11 am to 9:45 am.
In the mid 1980s, after Dr. Benedict A. Galloway was appointed pastor, some of the younger women of the church led in reorganizing the Sunday School, holding a Vacation Church School … and the church began to grow. The worship time changed to 10:50 am in 1984.