Date Founded: 1868
Property for a church and a school was purchased for $200 from the Don Juan Filhiol family on March 23, 1868. Two wooden buildings were constructed at the corner of Adams and Congo Streets. The school served first through third grades.
In 1923, the current church was built under the leadership of Rev. Hubbard Daniels. The contractors for the new church included Arthur Smith, Frank McNeal, and Louis Ward … all members of the church.
In 1966, the church started a child care center. Mrs. Ruth Brown was the first director.
On October 29, 1992, the church was added to the National Register of Historical Places. The pastor at that time was Rev. Robert Addison.
St. James was the first church in the Louisiana Conference to have an integrated pulpit. This occurred during the episcopacy of Bishop William Oden. Rev. Ellen Blue served the church as part of her Perkins School internship in 1994.