The first Methodist society was organized in Monroe in 1826. Circuit riders were assigned to visit Monroe and nearby charges in that time. In 1853, a Union church was built for the Protestant congregations. Each of them used the church for one Sunday per month. The upper floor was used for Masonic lodge meetings.
It was noted in the local paper that the church was painted and repaired in 1866.
On November 14, 1869, the Nolly Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South was incorporated under the leadership of Rev. R.S. Trippett. Land was purchased on the corner of Jackson and Grammont Streets the following month (December 4). Rev. Trippett’s successor, Rev. Charles N. Evans, was pastor when Nolly Chapel built a brick church. While the church was still being completed, a school for Protestant girls began on January 14, 1871. The following year, the Union church burned down. In 1876, the church collapsed under the weight of a 13” snowfall. The church returned the building materials and the lot and the congregation was without a church. In 1878, another lot was bought for $500 and donated to the church. Rev. P.H. Moss led the congregation in building a new church.
The decision to relocate downtown began under the leadership of Rev. E.N. Evans in the late 1890s. Dr. James Lovick Pierce was pastor at the time of the completion of the new brick church in 1899.
In the 1950s, Rev. George M. Pomeroy began the drive for a new church, since the downtown area was in decline. The first building constructed, the fellowship hall, was used as a sanctuary for ten years. An education building was constructed a few years after.
The current sanctuary was built in 1980 under the leadership of Rev. Odell Simmons. The stained glass windows depict Old and New Testament principles. A pipe organ was added in the 1990s. The sanctuary’s mortgage was paid off in June 1997.
Source: FUMC Monroe Church Directory