Circuit riders probably stopped in Lake Providence at the beginning of the 19th century. Rev. John G. Jones mentions stopping at Lake Providence in 1826 with Ashley Hewitt.
They stayed with Harbid Hood. Mr. Hood later offered to give Rev. Hewitt land and help him build a home if he’d serve as pastor. Rev. Hewitt was pastor of the Lake Providence charge by 1827.
In those days, meetings were held outdoors under brush arbors. In cold or inclement weather they moved indoors to the schoolhouse. On December 22, 1932, Mr. Hood donated land to the church and the Pecan Grove Church was built along the Mississippi River east of Alsatia, LA. Church history notes that Lorenzo Dow was one of the preachers that served the area.
In 1855, Methodists and Presbyterians formed the Pecan Grove Corporation to build a church to share on alternate Sundays.
On December 29, 1872, the church bought an existing structure on Sparrow Street in town for $600. It was nicknamed the “Meat Market Church” and “the Little Church around the Corner.” The pastor at that time was Rev. R.S. Tippet. The Lake Street Church property was bought for $140 in 1887.
Mrs. Emma Saint Ingram donated her home and property at the corner of Hood and First Streets in her will (September 23, 1890). Her house was used as the parsonage, and a new Lake Providence Methodist Episcopal Church, South was built on the property under the leadership of Rev. T.S. Randle. Dedicated in May 1904 by Bishop Murray, it was a white, Victorian-style frame building. This church was used until 1962. When it was taken down, its stained glass windows and altar rails were used in the new church.
The current red brick church held its first service on Easter Sunday, April 14, 1963. Construction also included an education building and fellowship hall. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Walton on August 11, 1963. Rev. George York was pastor at that time. The facilities enclose a grass courtyard that contains a large bell that used to reside at the Willow Point Plantation in Alsatia, LA in 1827. The church acquired it in 1865 and placed it in the Lake Street Church in 1887.