Date Founded: 1890
The first Methodist church in the area was Pipkin's Chapel in 1861. When Zachary became a town in 1889, a number of people decided to organize a Methodist Church. A number of the members of the declining Pipkin Chapel were active in forming the Zachary Church. When Pipkin Chapel was dissolved in 1896, Robert S. Knox bought the property and later sold it to the Magnolia Grove Baptist Church. The Chapel still stands today at the historical site on Old Bayou Sara Road, just opposite the Carney Road.
In 1890, 2 acres of property were acquired (for $100) from Mrs. Emily Smith Sandiford. The first church, a white, one-room structure, was built by the following year, with Rev. J.T. Leggett as its first minister. A parsonage was also built, in 1892, on the church property and used until 1951. Membership during the 1890's stood at about 137.
One day in March, 1914, a young black girl entered a service and informed the congregation that their church was burning! Everyone got out of the building, and rescued the furniture, but the church burned down. A new church was soon built at a cost of $1600. Services were held in the Presbyterian Church during construction. This 1914 building was sold in 1957 and is now used by a black congregation at Baker and New Weis Street.
When the Olive Branch Church closed in 1932, its lumber was used to construct an educational building at Zachary. In 1941, the church became a full-time charge under Rev. B.A. Galloway. The first choir was organized in 1944. A building program began and saw the completion of a new sanctuary in 1949. A new parsonage was built in 1951. An educational building was completed in 1957. The administration building was built in 1974. In 1976, a pre-school (Little School) was begun. The sanctuary was renovated in 1982-1982. In 1985, Mr. and Mrs. R.O. McCraine donated 2 lots of land and a new parsonage was built. On January 8, 1995, a consecration service was held for a major expansion of the sanctuary, to include a balcony, choir loft renovations, and 3 parking lots.
SOURCE: Zachary United Methodist Church: 1890-1990