Date Founded: 1884
The church, organized in 1884, was first known as St. Punchin because of the puncheon boards used in its construction. The first pastor was Rev. Craige. After land was willed to the church by Sam Scott, Rev. Pierre Landry led the church in building its second structure. After Rev. Landry became the D.S. of the south New Orleans District, the church was renamed in his honor.
The church was rebuilt twice after being destroyed by hurricanes … first in 1909 and again by hurricane Betsy in 1965. While rebuilding the church in the 1960s, they met at the St. Paul Baptist Church in Gonzales and at the Haven Chapel Methodist Church in Darrow. The new church was dedicated in 1967 under the leadership of Rev. J.C. Miles. Additional facilities such as classrooms were added and dedicated in 1987.
There is a small cemetery to the rear of the church.