St. Francisville, LA
Date Founded: 1899
The St. Francisville Church had its beginnings at Bayou Sara, which is down the bluff from St. Francisville near the Mississippi River. The Bayou Sara congregation was organized in 1844 and a church was soon constructed. Though the church survived bombardment by Federal gunboats during the Civil War, it was constantly subjected to floods. In 1896, the congregation decided to move to a more favorable location. A lot was purchased on Royal St. adjacent to the Market Hall in St. Francisville.
The church was dismantled and moved to St. Francisville in 1899 under the leadership of Rev. G.P. White. As the years went by, it became apparent that the church was again in danger ... this time from erosion of the bluff on which it stood. So the church was moved to its present location in 1948. A remodeling of the church took place the next year.
A parsonage was built next door to the church in 1959. A Fellowship Hall was constructed and the educational building was remodeled in 1983. In 1990, the property and home (Robb House) next to the church was purchased.
Robb House currently serves as "Parsonage and Office." The house was built in 1895 and was used as a pharmacy, then as classrooms, and finally as a private home in the 1940's. The former parsonage was remodeled and is being used as the C.H.A.S.E. (Children Having A Spiritual Environment) building, which houses the Sunday School rooms and day care.
SOURCE: St. Francisville United Methodist Church, visitor's brochure