Baton Rouge, LA
Date Founded: 1917
In 1917, a group of Christians in Scotlandville began meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Bradford. They were assisted by Rev. Amos M. Taylor, pastor of Thompson Chapel in Baker. Services were later held in the Odd Fellows Hall behind Sewell's Variety Store. The congregation was later given a site on Stilt Street and a church was constructed. It was named the Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church.
The General Church purchased 3 lots at the present site for $1000. The church was moved from Stilt St. to the location in 1922. The name was changed at that time to Camphor Memorial, in honor of Bishop A.P. Camphor. The move was supervised by Walter Scott Chinn, the District Superintendent.
Under the leadership of Rev. George W. Carter, Jr., the congregation began raising funds for a new church. In 1959, the present church was built at a cost of $117,000. The church held its dedication service on January 30, 1966. The church and grounds were renovated while Dr. Moses Jackson served as pastor. The consecration service of this work was led by Bishop William Oden on February 11, 1990.
SOURCE: Founder's Day Bulletin, June 10, 1990