Methodism in Alexandria dates back to the early 1800s. The first appointed pastor was Rev. John Harmon. The first church building (1847) may have been located on Front Street (now the levee).
It was probably the second church structure that burned down on May 13, 1864 when Union troops set fire to Alexandria after retreating from the Battle of Mansfield. This church may have been located on Third Street between Lee and Washington Streets. Knowledge of the church up to this time is sketchy, since all church records were lost in the fire. The next church building was constructed in 1877 and rebuilt in 1888.
A two-story brick edifice was constructed on Jackson St. in 1907. When West End Methodist Church merged with First Church in 1910, the combined membership under the leadership of Rev. H.R. Singleton stood at 500 members. A three-story brick education building was built next to the church in 1927, under the leadership of Rev. Cleanth Brooks, Sr.
The churched moved down the street in 1968 to build a new church, chapel, fellowship hall, and education building. Since then, the church has added a youth/family center and additional parking across the street.